Tri-color Acropora ?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefnJeff, May 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Wow kinda drastic in two weeks. Good job!

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Thanks Corailine, what is PE, what I am wondering is that normal growth with all those branches forming on the base, I can see that being a mess when those get bigger.

4. reefnJeff

Thanks dskyers! It was like he turned on his switch and he just took off.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Polyp extension (PE)

Growth patterns are influenced by lighting, water chemistry and flow, and coral type.
    Many corals encrust the plug or base before you see a lot of growth to the tips, some grow equally vertically as well as horizontally, some more vertically at first.

Good PE is generally a good indicator of coral health, some acropora do not show good PE when flow is not appropriate for the coral. PE is also a good indicator of water chemistry.

6. reefnJeff

ohhh yea!! hahaha, Polyp Extension, I should have known that, yea! most the time those Polyps are pretty big, I would say all the Corals in my tank are doing very well, my wife wants more fish, but I think part of my success is my low fish population which limits excess nutriants in fish waste and fish food, Personally I think there is plenty of natural food in the tank that I only need to feed my 3 fish once a day, I got pods all over the place.

7. reefnJeff

Amazing!! awesome growth and I found the certificate on that Coral and its a Northwoods Tri-color.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. reefnJeff

its been 10 days since I posted a pic, the growth is still amazing and you can notice the difference 10 days had made.

Attached Files:

10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Nice growth so far. This is one of my favorite corals. Coloring up nicely.

This is also one of my most finicky corals. It will show changes in water parameters before any other SPS that I have. It is also very fragile. I have had fish bump into it and break big branches off.

11. reefnJeff

Thanks! You know I don't want to make myself to look like a bad reefer, but honestly I rarely check my tanks parameters, I use observation to decide if my tank is Ok or not and I feel my Corals will tell me everything, like when I thought I had an ammonia issue in my tank, the only reason I checked was cus my Fiji Yellow Leather was acting abnormal, it may have turned out to be a PH issue, I raised it some and now he is fine. I'll keep my eyes on that Tri-color.

12. reefnJeff

Pic 1 was taken June 22, the new pic was taken today, the branches on the base are starting to get branches, still really good growth.

Attached Files: