treating ich in the maintank (reef tank)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nanomania, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

my fish got ich and i dont have a quarantine tank. mine is a softies only tank with just 2 fish, 1 chromis and 1 skunk clown. my skunk got ich. for now its just showing 3 spots. what should i do? will a 10 minute freshwater dip work? or please suggest me what should i do. i want to treat it in maintank.

here is another link for treating ich in the main tank. has anyone tried this?

Possible New copper free Treatment for Ich within a reef tank

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I would suggest to keep your fish eating. If you notice a decrease in appetite, you can try adding garlic to your feedings or I have heard of using selcon. You can also add an UV Sterilizer to you system to help eliminate free floating ich parasites.

4. Donno2009

Donno2009 Plankton

Would you be so kind to give a lift - Mobile Phones

I would like to use the cricket service but I would like to keep my t mobile phone. Can it be used with that service? I'm just seriously apologies for not perfect terminology Now i am producing, nonetheless pray everything is quite easy to undestand ( blank ) I am unable to communicate better yet reaaly want a person's enable! In the event Now i am wrong while using the community aspect I would kindly consult other staff in order to transport our place to the correct 1

5. nanomania

well there is no spot left on the clown now. is this a miracle or something that generally happens? its eating food since i bought 2 days back.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

When the spots are visible what your actually seeing are the eggs of the actual parasite. When no longer visible this means the eggs have dropped off into your SB where they will then hatch, become free floating and begin searching for a new host/meal.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

I've had it reported to me by experienced hobbyists that marine ich can often be brought about by stress, e.g., acclimation, bad tank parameters, or whatever. And, that when the stress is removed that the problem will resolve. Not necessarily what I experienced with freshwater years ago.

That said, I very recently had an experience with some aggression between two of my fish... one developed a few ich spots on the tail area where he was likely nicked by a tang. The spots were there for less than 24 hrs...but definitely quite pronounced and easy to see at the time.

The situation resolved itself quickly. I took the advice of many and started adding garlic supplement to the water (I was given a bottle by Kent, but I'm sure there are others) and also began feeding with Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes which has garlic.

Bottom line: cannot be certain that the food and garlic helped, but there's so much circumstantial evidence that it does...with no apparent harm...that I am a garlic convert. And, that because you see ich is not reason enough to panic but to watch closely and prepare to act if it does not resolve.

Hope this helps! :)

10. nanomania

we dont get kent garlic or and garlic containing food here in india. can i add a bit of crushed garlic juice into the tank?

11. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Great question! Hope someone with experience can jump in with an answer.

Please post a response if you come up with a solution not suggested here.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Adding garlic juice to the water will have no effect. The fish need to eat it to get any benefit. You could soak the food in garlic juice.

I have used 'kick ich' in my softies tank. It didn't kill any of my coral. Idk if it killed the ich or the fish just fought off the infection though.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar