Training Dendro To Stay Open During The Day

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Romulox234, Jul 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Romulox234

Romulox234 Astrea Snail

Can anybody with experience getting dendros and sun corals to stay open all day long tell me how they did it. And if lighting matters to them. I heard they like dark places but it doesnt seem like itd matter because there non photosythetic, because i had them in this rock with a cave that he opened up in within 2 hours of hitting my tank but last night i moved it onto a rock outfront because i want to be able to see the polyps when there extended

2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I have a sun coral and they only open up when food is added to the tank and sometimes it just opens up on it's on. Also, mine sits at the bottom of the tank under 150 watts. One hour after lights are out they open up

4. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

I don't have any more experience than I did the last time this thread was started.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I don't know for sure, I just got my first dendro yesterday. AFAIK dendros are more likely to keep open during the day, tubastrea (hard to distinguish without a microscopic analysis of the skeleton apparently) are more likely to open only at night.
    I was told that to train them into staying open all day just try feeding them at the same time every day until they start staying open longer and longer.
    Turn off your pumps and set some food (mysis etc) on each polyp, if they're healthy/unstressed they should take it eventually. Just do that during the day to get them to stay open longer.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

you can train them by feeing them during the day. After several weeks of feeding during the day they will start to be more open.

I also placed my sun corals in my sump as the sump has a ton of nutrients sitting in it. They were opened almost all day and grew fast. I recently placed them back in my DT and they are remaining open