Trace elements

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by gabe, Sep 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

What exactly are the "trace elements"?

Gabe

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

for reef aquariums the main ones r calcium, stobntium, molybdenum and iodide and iodine. :)

4. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

O.K. Thanks,

gabe

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Reef Pure Trace Element Manufacturer: Warner Marine

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/additives/104159.html

Description: Contains Boron, Fluorine, Lithium, Rubidium, Barium, Zinc, Iron, Molybdenum, Selenium, Cobalt, Vanadium and Manganese in a balanced ratio utilized by corals and fish. Like all Warner Marine products Trace Element is produced entirely from high quality reagent-grade raw chemicals, making it more effective than other brands at adding high quality bio-available trace elements without adding any unnecessary impurities that can found in brands made from lower grade raw chemicals. For additional information, please visit the Warner Marine Web Site.

Notes: Trace elements help form part of the crystal structure of the coral skeletons.

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Calcium and Carbonate generally not considered trace element. Though it is just a man made term.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya i wasnt sure if he meant trace as in the supps or...as in like the bottle that says trace elements lol

8. Click Here!

9. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

FWIW, I know there are many opinions on the matter of dosing trace elements, but in my case, I've never dosed in the 11 1/2 yrs I've been in this salt water hobby.
    It's my belief that all food one feeds to the tank, contain too many trace elements, and that I do water changes to LOWER the trace element levels.
    (food is also the largest contributor of phosphates in your tank as it is added as presevatives both in our foods and pet foods as well)
    I DO add calcium in the form of limewater to maintain calcium levels, and now use Randy Holmes-Farley's formula for increasing levels if needed. As already mentioned, these wouldn't be considered to be trace.