tourch coral not ok?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by kiarah, Apr 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi this is a quickie! I have a 3 head tourch coral & had it since just before christmas but one off the heads has totally closed up but the other two are fine! its been like it since yesterday morning & is still closed now. i have to admit i forgot to put my lights on friday so they went 24 hours with no lights. Did all water params : nitrate 0 ammo o nitrite o ph 8.1 taken at 11am salt 0.025 calcium 21-22 drops =440 mag 1350 acl 10-11

Is this normal? it closed for short times before but just not for days!
    Thanks K

2. Click Here!

3. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Give it time, they get quite stroppy when stressed, keep an eye on him...

If it gets worse in the next couple of days, be prepared to frag, or cut away the dead head...

4. accentstencil

accentstencil Bristle Worm

A cheap timer will stop you forgetting to turn the lights on and it will be better at keeping the times you have your lights on more uniform.

5. kiarah

Ok thanks! ....... I always seem to put my questions in the wrong thread! I get myself banned soon!

6. kiarah

Hi all my tourch really is in a bad way...... still one off the heads closed completely up & now a second one is not looking to good, with only one still going strong!
    What should i do??????????????
    All params are perfect & as stated above so ilm clueless......................:confused:
    Thanks K

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Did you happen to move it recently? What kind of flow is it in?

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

No but i did move house last month....... i forgot to put the lights on the other day but i also dumped my water change water in stone cold above it as i didnt realise the heater wasnt turned on! Im a bit clueless sometimes...........flow it has no real flow at all it just gently sways at times....
    Thanks K

10. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

I am by no means an expert but i dont believe that 24 hours with out light will cause this problem. I would look elsewhere for the reason. what type of lights are you using?

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Agreed. I personally have gone three and a half days without lights on vacation and my torch was fine.
    Now, what do you mean by "move house"? Did you move? Did the tank get moved? If this is the case, did you touch the torches flesh, or happen to expose it to air?

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Going by info provided so far, I'd suspect the cold water that was poured on it possibly.