Totally Aerobic Nitrogen Cycle

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by skylab1, Feb 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gmccntryboy

gmccntryboy Astrea Snail

So whats the total cost of setup and maintenance on this product?

2. Click Here!

3. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

That would be depend on if the tank is a brand new or existing one.
    The size of the tank, gph of pump, what type of filter you currently use or you are looking to get a new filter etc.

Maintenance is very simple, do your regular water change, siphon your sand bed during water change, clean the carbon once a month. That's about it.

Give me some spec. of your tank, I can do a ball park figure for you.

4. gmccntryboy

gmccntryboy Astrea Snail

tank is allready set up, 36 gallon, 50 pounds live sand, added 12 pounds live rock, 1 week ago, pump is about 450 gph, two circulation pumps in tank, wet/ dry filter for now,

5. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

36 gallon isn't too big.

you'll need the following: (all price are retail)

6lb of tri-base carbon $30
    25lb of ph Rock $75 (optional) if you don't use pH rock, you will have to buffer your pH and Ca using convention means.
    1 bottle of Right Now bacteria $7

You pump is too fast, the max flow rate is 360gph, I don't know how high are your tank. You'll have to measure the flow to see what it is. You may need a ball valve to restrict the flow a little. You will also need to place your return above the water not below like you have now. (place the retun below the water will NOT work!)

Remove all the bioball from the wet/dry, place both the carbon and pH rock in a seperate mash bag. pH rock at the bottom with the carbon on top. That's yet.

Add only half of the content in the Right Now bacteria bottle. (each bottle is good for 60 gallon). Turn off your UV and skimmer for 24hours if you have any. Do Not expose the bacteria in it's dry form to any light source, light will kill the bacteria in dry form. Once under water it will be OK.

Depend on the condition of your LR: if your LR is not cured the tank will cycle and cure your LR in 3 to 5 days, fish can be added after this period.

If your LR is FULLY cured or from a existing tank then you will need to add 1 to 2 fish to start the cycle. As long as you have the full amount of carbon and the corrrect flow rate your tank will cycle in 24hours.

Remove or turn off your circulation pumps you will not need them.

6. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Today's water test result:

temp: 82
    pH:8.2
    ammo:0
    NO2:0
    NO3:0
    CA:450
    Alk: 220

The babylion has grown about 1/2" since I got it almost a month ago. Beside eating frozen mysid, the lion is now started to eat some finely cut fresh shrimp from local market.

I've notice the filter is getting dirty, will need to be clean this weekend.

Note: I'll post the pic tomorrow, my CF card reader is busted. Going to fry's tomorrow to get a new one.

7. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Sorry for the delay.

Day 30

Water test result:

Temp: 84
    pH: 8.4
    ammo: 0
    NO2: 0
    NO3 :0
    CA: 650
    Alk: 240
    Density: 1.015

[​IMG]

Nothing to report on this tank, other than the lion will be move to a 60 gallon tank over the weekend. He is now big enough to be with other fish.
    I am hoping to get another small lion for this tank in the coming week, if not may be another clown.