Totally Aerobic Nitrogen Cycle

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by skylab1, Feb 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Day 6

finally got some more fish in today. The chromis was move back to its original tank to make room for the new arrivals. The clown came in pretty bad shape, after two hours slow acclimation it looks a little better, I can only hope it survive the night. The tiny lion fish is too small for my other tanks, so this were it has to stay for the time been. The water was crystal clear this morning, the oil slik on the surface of the water from feeding P.E. mysid yesterday was all but gone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Day 7

Well, lost one clown overnight, couldn't save it, at least I'll get my money back from the supplyer. There were some protein bubbles on the top this morning, after I feed some coral steimuate within 20 minutes the protein bubbles were gone. The lion is starting looking for food, but it won't take the forzen mysid yet, so I'll have to try some live brine today.

[​IMG]

4. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

The following are the test result on the Aerobic reduction of Nitrates done by Ocean Enviro LLC.

Currently, they are conducting nine more tests for their clients over seas. Then they shall have a certified lab conduct an additional test to reconfirm their data.

Usually solids in the water are measured in Milligrams per Liter. Gas is measured in ppm the conversion from ppm to mg/l is ppm x 1 = mg/L so it is the same value.

if a person has a problem with the system, it is solved by a series of questions and the system will function correctly in 24 hours after the adjustments are made. If a person does not present how his system is set up, and he says he failed, that means only one thing, he has not tried our system.

1. Start Date: Jan 3, 2006
    2. End Date: Jan 10, 2006
    3. Daily Values:
    1/3: 6,237.0 mg/L
    1/4: 4,797.0 mg/L
    1/5: 796.0 mg/L Note: Probe out of calibration, had to recondition, erroneous reading
    1/6: 2,393.0 mg/L
    1/7: 330.0 mg/L
    1/8: 54.20 mg/L
    1/9: 22.90 mg/L
    1/10: 1.10 mg/L
    4. Test unit is a Hach Sension 2 Portable digital nitrate probe

5. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Day 8

[​IMG]

Water test was done today before I siphon out all the poo on the bottom.

temp: 82
    pH: 8.4
    ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Ca: 650
    alk: 200

6. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

correction, this is day 9
    no pic yesterday.

7. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Date 12

Sorry, no pics. Cameria still been repair.

Temp: 82
    PH 8.4
    Ammo: 0
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 0
    CA: 550 (down from 650)
    Alk: 280 (up from 200)

Filter was clean out today, the small lion start to eat some mysid shrimp but still perfer live feed.

I added a thin layer of dry coral sand so it looks better. The filter finally stop dancing around the bottom now the sand is in.

8. Click Here!

9. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Got my camera back :D

Day 15

temp:82
    pH:8.2
    ammo:0
    NO2:0
    NO3:0
    CA:650
    Alk:260

[​IMG]

thin layer of white sand was added a few days ago.

The lion is still alive and now eating 100% forzen mysid shrimp! :wink:
    Take a look the full belly of the lion.
    [​IMG]

10. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Here is video of the 5 gallon tank.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43e8d356m138aad5b/bc/video/5 gallon nano.mov?BCgb2FEBprrdyZV1

As you can see all fish are alive and well. In this video you will see the baby lionfish actually pushing the frozen mysid shrimp on the sand bed then eat it.
    All of the lion I've kept have shown this type of behavior after they started eating forzen mysid shrimp. I have the video to prove it, so nobody can say I made it up.

Also, as a treat I included my clown at home spawning.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43e8d356m138aad5b/bc/video/clown.mov?BCgb2FEB8f6q.DlC

11. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

12. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail