Totally Aerobic Nitrogen Cycle

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by skylab1, Feb 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm more than willing to discuss this issue with you. However, I always like to know who I'm speaking with. Are you an owner of HDL (Hiatt Distributors Limited) or a dealer for HDL?

2. Click Here!

3. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

I am small retailer & wholesaler in L.A., I have no interest of selling anything to anyone on this board. I only want to bring up the awareness to follow reefer about a new possibility doing thinks different on keeping marine tanks. So, what issue would you like to discuss and who are you?
    I am assuming we are going to discuss the issue in open forum right?

Robert

P.S. I really like the spelcheck feature on the board.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Thanks for being upfront and open. It is truly appreciated.

Let me try to explain the reason for my question. It truly is not accusatory but I realize it appears so. One time, I suspected that a new member on a different board was an owner or partial-owner of a company, I sent him a Private Message to find out if my suspicions were true. He verified that he was. I told him that it's important that he let people know that he was the owner when he posts. He chose not to follow my recommendation. Then when it was found out later on that he was the manufacturer of the product he praised, "All hell broke loose". I mean it got UGLY (on a board that was known for 'niceness"). I don't want to see that happen here on 3Reef. I also was curious because if you were connected, I thought you might have some inside info for me.

Who am I? I am the ULTIMATE GEEK!!! :) I'm a CPA from St. Louis and I'm also a financial planner. I have no financial interest in the hobby at the moment. I've been approached by several people to buy a hobby-related business but a recent divorce has made that an impossibility for the moment.

IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE
    I've kept this product on hand before in case a large fish dies. (That's how I knew who HDL was).

However, when it comes to the carbon, I was hoping you had inside info because most pelletized carbons arenot very effective in submerged environments. If you have any inside info (that wouldn't be a trade secret), please let us know.

5. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Well, I am not connected to HDL in anyway, however, during a whole year experimenting and testing I got to know the person who invented the process and the product very well. Till this day he still won't show me how the tri-base carbon was made, I guess it's a trade secret.

You are right about most pelletized carbons are not very effective in submerged environments, that is why they need to be replace once a month. I can only guess the tri-base carbon was made differently from other carbon, 2-5 years inside the canister filter without need to be replace is a long time. I didn't believe him at first, but the tri-base carbon I have inside the canister filter its been use for a year now, I haven't had the need to replace it. All I do is back-flush the filter once a month to get the dirt and debris out that was it. Even if the carbon only last a year, it still far better then other carbon that has to replace every month.

6. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

7. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Yes, you got it, except I didn't use the PVC tube as a filter. It may look easy on paper, in reality its a lot harder to actually made one out of PVC tube. But, it can be a great DIY project, it would certainly save you a lot of $$$ for not have to buy a filter.

8. Click Here!

9. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

charlatan

I do not use the word loosely. Although I am an engineer, (electrical) I can be naive about chemisty in the hopes of defeating entropy. I have tried Tri-based Pelletized Carbon and the Right Now Bacteria, yada yada. My tank followed the normal cycle and after a year I thru all of it away. This is my experience. Take it for $.02. Sorry if I offended anyone, except the charlatan.

10. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Big W B : can you elaborate on your experience using this type of system?

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

12. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Yes, Big W B can you give more detail on why doesn't the tri-base carbon and RN bacteria work for you. I am interest to know how your system was setup when you were using the product, flow rate, lb of carbon use, etc....

Thanks