Torn polyp on frogspawn coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by greysoul, Jun 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

So while I was siphoning some cyano out of the tank today I accidentally hit one of my frogspawns and sucked a polyp/tentacle off, and tore 2 or 3 more. The coral has been sucked in for a while now (2+ hours) and I am wondering if I killed it or just maimed it. Anyone have experience doing this?

I'm sure something in nature eats them, so I can see they would adapt to loss of tentacles, but I'm too new to know.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, it would be really nice if I could do a search and not have to wait 30 seconds when a search term turns up nothing.... is that hoping for too much? :p I'm sure this question has come up before, but after 2 failed searches I found nada.

-Doug

2. Click Here!

3. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Did it tear the skin or just rip a few of the tentacles off?
    I find pieces of mine sometimes where it rubs a rock or shrimp get in it that fall off... not a big deal

4. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

just tore the tentacles up, and one completely off. The "skin", if you mean the fleshy cove at the base of the tentacles is fine.

Thanks cdeboard, you've let me go home w/ optimism!

-Doug

5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Doug, I did that very thing recently. I thought I had ruined the poor thing (or at least a head of it anyway). It looked terrible for about 24 hours and I felt just awful, but then it came back out fine! I think you'll be ok. :)

6. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Yeah.. if the flesh is good.. you are good.. no biggie.
    Both of my heads are in the process of splitting! :)