Torch?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by ddaasshh, Dec 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ddaasshh

ddaasshh Spaghetti Worm

my lfs has a torch and he is awesome looking but i am kinda a beginner, so how hard is it to take care of this guy? any one have one any one know?

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

There pretty easy providing you can maintain calcium / mag for their skeleton and feed them every now and then with mysis. The closer I put mine to the light, the less it expands its tentacles, so if your tank is crammed, place it a little higher to give everything around it a better chance at not getting stung.

~Will.

4. ddaasshh

ddaasshh Spaghetti Worm

that makes sence, im so new and have so few things in my tank i havnt had to worry about the calcium/mag thing yet. guess i got some more learning to do.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

How long has the tank been setup? How are your nitrates and phosphates? Doublechecked your salinity?
    A single torch colony unless it's huge probably isn't going to put too much strain on your calcium/alkalinity/magnesium levels but you want to make sure your tank is well past the cycle and has had some time to mature before adding corals IMO.

They are pretty hardy IMO as long as the parameters are good and you have the right light and flow in the tank. They are pretty common corals so don't worry if you miss out on this opportunity to buy it, I'm sure there will be plenty more where that came from.

Honestly before getting coral I would read this article so you understand the chemistry, skip over anything too technical if it gets confusing (I do too hehe).
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

6. ddaasshh

ddaasshh Spaghetti Worm

my tank is pretty new so it will be a good while before i go with any corals past the GSP I have in the tank, i just wanted to start getting info early.

7. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

i threw my torch in a tank with nitrates and phosphates off the charts and its doing fine. not to say that is a good thing haha but at least mine is hardy

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ddaasshh

ddaasshh Spaghetti Worm

hardy is good, there is this bad as* torch at my LFS but i just dont have the money right now to give him a try, but eventually ill get there