Torch help!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Toallhisdoom, Nov 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Got a new nice torch. Was opened and had good extension for first 5-7 days then yesterday 1 of 3 heads was sucked in. Then today 2.5 heads were in.
    Mid level in 75 gal tank with 1 reefbreeders 120w led 12" above water at 100% power. Good flow.
    PH: 8.0
    Cal: 460
    KH: 6-7
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Salinity 1.025-1.026 with ATO

All acans, zoos, amemone, acropora, montipora, pocilapora, xenia, and fish are doing good.

Any ideas? Did not aclimate to my light but was open good for first 5-7 days.
    Did frag a toadstool recently. Moved it next tomy my other torch that is somewhat extended.

When added
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday [​IMG]
    Today
    [​IMG]
    I moved it next to my other torch you can see in front and the new one in back almost fully closed.

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Might have been too much light for it. That last picture the one head looks to be gone for sure with another on the way out and the third still doing good. Move it to a lower light spot and try to raise your alk which is kind of low. I doubt the alk is the problem but raising it would help with growth

4. Toallhisdoom

7-10 dkh is good right? I have some buffer ill throw in (kent superbuffer dkh) And yea i think it was under a light that was like 120par above water to w.e mine is. Probably 200-300 par. Think it will come back?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I would lower it in the tank a bit and see how it reacts. your alk is okay, a touch higher would be nice.

heres a nice chart that i reference quite often.

[​IMG]

6. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

6-7 is kind of on the low side. Best is 10-12 but Mine is usually 8-9. I think that one head if gone but you never know. I think the other 2 heads should be ok if you keep them in lower light and try to feed them and keep the alk up the help them grow. Hopefully others will chime in, I don't have any torch coral but do have hammers and frogspawn which are very similar.

7. Toallhisdoom

Alright added some buffer. And moved it down a bit. Maybe i should move it more. Ill see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for the quick help guys!

8. Click Here!

9. swreefer

swreefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Keep away from strong light and current.