Torch coral problem

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Elliot09, Jan 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rubystar

rubystar Plankton

I just saw this post and yes I had a similar problem with my torch coral not approving of something and some of the heads died when I first bought it. I have another issue now and I've read a bit about it but I would like advice now.

I was moving some rocks around the other day when I was fragging and one of my torch coral heads fell on its head. :( When I picked it up the actual coral fell out of it's skeleton so I think it hit something on the way down. After reading online what I initially did was wedge it in a low flow area to see if it would even survive. It moved from that location in the past 2 days but it is open and seems comfortable in my sand bed at the moment. I know from reading that it should grow a new skeleton for itself but if it doesn't it will probably develop a disease in it's exposed area.

Please reply with any suggestions as to where to go from here with it.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I tend to agree with that assessment. Also looks like a flow issue. Does the other side always blow that way?

Do you have an update Elliot?

Ruby, I suggest you start your own thread really.

4. slocal

slocal Doot!

That was my first thought. Looks like the heads facing the current are having a prob. Torches are a medium-low to low flow coral.

5. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

Hey guys, only realised this thread got pulled up again haha

In the absence of a wavemaker I tend to vary the current by moving the power head every now and then. It's not constantly changing flow though, so water is moving in one direction for at least a good couple of days. It's only a Koralia 4 in a 4ft tank so the flow should not be too strong, though it getting battered does seem like a likely explanation. I'm looking to up my current as my system shifts more towards being an SPS tank. For this, I'm going to be finding new placements for my LPS in sheltered spots.

The other heads are doing as well as they have always been, though I've been keeping an eye on them.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't mind ruby asking questions here, that's fine with me, but they may get answered sooner in her own thread. What ever floats your collective boats really :p