Torch coral health

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by muggle, Jan 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

My torch coral has 5 heads on it. 3 heads have been bleached for about 8 months...today I lost one head leaving 2 bleached ones left and 2 that are ok...just keep it in the tank until it all goes? Also...toadstools, ok with moderate flow?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

where there is life there is hope Muggle

bleached corals can return to former coloration providing the conditions are ideal
    and new heads can grow from the sides of the old dead heads IME

But bleached for that long does sound different to anything I have experienced
    I have had LPS corals that I purchased lacking much color and within 3 or 4 weeks they have colored up again
    and recently when changing GFO I had a donut coral lose a lot of green, but thats coming back within 2 weeks

what lighting do you have this coral under and what position/ height is the coral in relation to that lighting

LPS corals dont like being handled, oils in hands touching the bare coral flesh can cause heads to decay

also abrupt changes in water can cause heads of Torch corals to decay so take care when adding RODI or water change water to the tank

also proximity to hard rough surfaces like surrounding rockwork, if when the head is fully inflated it can rub against adjoining rockwork , this can cause the head to decay

Steve