torch coral and zoas

Discussion in 'Coral' started by clown1234, Aug 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

so if the zoas are going to be somewhat close to the torch do i think it would be wise to not get them?

2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Or just not put them close.

4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I have heard that the only way a zoanthid or palythoa is truely toxic is when it is ingested or ends up directly in the bloodstream. I had a friend who was fragging lots of zoathids. Threw away a few heads in the garbage. His dog had gotten into the garbage and ended up eating a few heads. She died in his arms later that night... This was a large dog who had probably only ingested a few heads. Another time fellow 3reefer JossMalo and I were fragging palythoas and Joss had a small cut from a razor on his index finger. The palys had slimed up, a common defense mechanism they use, and some of it ended up in the cut. His hand turned red and got slightly swollen. He complained of throbbing pain for over a week. He wasnt faking either. I would say situations like these two would be the only time they are truely toxic or dangerous in anyway, but when in these situations take as much caution as possible.

5. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

but as i said before its only a small tank and if i easy to get them they would have to go on my LR at the back that has the torch on the bottom left of the rock...

6. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

if i was to get them* stupid auto correct XD

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I would say you would be fine. Just dont have them in direct contact. How large of a tank is it?

8. Click Here!

9. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

about 6G.. and in the left corner the torch is and pretty close to touching the rock and i can't really reconfigure anything but yer. i would think the zoas wouldn't grow Were there are already torch tentacles right

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

You would be correct. The torch would sting them. But the rest of the zoas in the colony would be fine.

11. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

so do u think it would work all okay??? what would happen if they got stung....thanks for all your help i kinda really want zoas there colors are just so amazing :D

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Oh yeah. They should be fine. They would probably just close up for a while. If there is anyway you could switch around the placement if it becomes a real issue I would. But you should be good to go. And no problem! Ive had countless zoa frags. I remember my first frag I was so happy to have grow 2 additional heads. Now in my buddies 90 gallon its grown over 200 heads easily. :eek: