topoff direct from ro?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by 2t2_crash, Jun 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

nice, I am interested in seeing how it is hooked into the RO unit... I am seeing no electronics, is that correct?

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Yes, no electronics.

My RO/DI unit is hard plumbed under setup under my kitchen sink. I didn't want to drill any holes in my kitchen cabinets, and my tank is only about 5' from the RO/DI unit so I did this:

[​IMG]
    The auto shut off is the square small box right above where it says "Revere Osmosis" When the float valve closes, it creates back pressure and cause the auto shut off to shut off flow though the filter and it also shuts the drain off.

[​IMG]
    I used a "T" to go to the float valve in my sump, then put a stright valve in so I could still use the RO/DI unit to fill up my 30 gallon rubber made tub for mixing water.

[​IMG]
    This pic shows where the 1/4 hose tucks between the cabinet and door.

[​IMG]
    This pic shows where the hose goes from underneaths the cabinet to my tank stand on the left. I used "L's" and little 3M adheisive wire holder things to hold the hose tight to the cabinet and wall.

[​IMG]
    This pic shows where I hooked the drain line from the RO/DI unit into the drain of the kitchen sink.

[​IMG]
    This is how I hooked the supply line for the RO/DI unit to the cold water supply for my kitchen sink.

I bought all of the fittings at Home Depot.

So far this setup has been very reliable! It has been running without ANY issues for a month now. It was pretty much setup and forget! Before I was having to fill the pump chamber on my sump up every other day!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Also, I bought the RO/DI Unit from P U R E W A T E R C L U B

It is the same place that sells all the RO/DI units on Ebay. The shipping was very qucik! I ordered it on a Wed morning and got it the following Monday.

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Bad, bad advice. :angry: 120 volts can kill just as effectively as 240 or more. Never spread the viewpoint that low voltage is any safer than higher voltages. It's simply not true.

Under proper conditions, a shock from 120 V can hurt a lot more than 277 or higher.

Truth is; if you don't know what you're doing, or if you're uncomfortable working around electricity, first congratulate yourself for being smart enough to admit it, then get a qualified individual to do the job.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  6. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

sweet! I wish I had seen this two weeks ago

7. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

I wasn't giving advice. I don't recommend getting shocked by anything. I personally don't like the feeling. I was just clowning on Iraf a lil'. I been hit by alot of different currents none feel good. i know that 277 hurt alot more than 110, but i guess it has to do w/ amperage. you're the electrician, but i'd guess 110 and 277 w/ the same amps, 277 will hurt more?

8. Click Here!

9. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

/////////

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  10. ReefSparky

Yes, nunch. It's all in the amperage.

The severity of shock depends on 4 things:
    1. the path the current takes through the body
    2. the time the amperage spends in the body
    3. degree of amperage
    4. frequency. (not how often, but reference to Hz.)

Some have touched a 277V source from a fiberglass ladder with one hand and felt little more than a tickle.

Others have been killed by 120V if standing on a conductive surface, or bent to one knee while touching the source with two hands, allowing the current to travel from one hand to the other, through the chest.

It's really dependent on a number of variables.

I wasn't flaming you, nunch. This is just a subject that out of necessity, I take seriously.

11. ReefSparky

My point exactly. You don't need professional experience. But the link between common sense, a sense of safety, and comfort are closely related. It's plain common sense that someone who asks themself, "should I be doing this" is in a far better position than one who says without thought, "Git 'er done!"

Hence my comment, "don't do the job if you're not comfortable."

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Very cool. Does this approach add wear to the RO membrane? I thought I read something about that from turning on and off a lot. I don't see it myself as it shouldn't be going on too much.. but I am not sure.