Top 3 least agressive tangs?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nanomania, Jan 4, 2017.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

As im Setting up a 130g, I would like to know which are the top 3 least agressive to peaceful tangs.

I hate agressive fishes even if they are beautiful. So would like to know.

Also an order would be help so can add them accordingl.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Blue Hippo, Yellow Tang, Kole Tang. I would only do a couple tangs though, three is pushing it IMO.

Swisswiss likes this.
  5. Swisswiss

was going to edit my post and say I would add no more than 2 but Civic beat me to it....for what its worth i have a yellow and a blue together and they get along fine, on rare occasions you see a "show of force" where they swim around each other showing off their blades but it never gets physical....

6. nanomania

I have a juv yellow phillipine tang, in my 42g, so that will be shifted to 130g so ill be adding 2 more. The third option is jus for selection. So i can select 2 out of 3. I dont want a yellow tang as i already have a philli yellow. I guess then hippo and kole would be the best option. Can i add a hippo first? As kole tangs are very exp in india. My phili yellow tang doesnt nip, but it does keep my purple dotty in control. I dont know how it would behave with other tangs, so plannin to add it last.

7. Swisswiss

whats your filtration system going to be since you are going sumpless? the bigger the fish, the more they eat the harder it will be to keep good water quality to house corals...

also tangs, and blue ones in particular are ICH magnates, so it is recommend you QT and treat should there be a need...

nanomania and scajeo like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

For my 130g finally quitting to buy regal, jus my phili yellow and a kole. Rest will be ywg, flame dart goby, a pair of my oc, 1 or 2 more gobies and a pair of bangais. Im looking to add a blue fish, dont know which shud i add as i hate damsels and regal im not adding. I prefer small fishes, the only big fishes i like are tangs and a fuzzy dwarf (i dont take it as a small fish, however, cant add it)

10. Swisswiss

I applaud your decision not to get a hippo tang.....ideally you would want a refugium for what im about to suggest, but with that large a volume, and if you let it mature for 6+ months, you could get a single (blue tending color morph) mandarin fish. if you do however it will seriously limit the addition of any other active pod eater....

otherwise slightly larger and where you run the risk of conflict with your currently owned tangs are:

Blue Caribbean Tang
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15 43 328&pcatid=328

OR

Purple Tang
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15 43 372&pcatid=372

I know these two dont get very well along with yellow tangs (from what iv read from different sources... I dont have any direct experience with them and my yellow tang) but im not sure about philis, you're going to have do your homework and research....

11. kamakazian

kamakazian Plankton

Not sure how well they get along with other tangs, but for whatever it's worth I have an orange shoulder tang and it's never nipped at any of my other fish, including bicolor chromis. It only chases the chromis to protect my perculas! How cool is that? Also, if you get the OST as a juvy, it's fun to watch it change colors with age :) following this thread to see how things turn out!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Well you probably already have your mind set on what you are going to add, so I guess I'm not sure why I am saying this again, but I would only do 2 tangs. I have a 220 and have 3 tangs, would never add any more.

Tangs need alot of room for growth. What may sound like a good idea at the time of adding 3 very small tangs, over time they will get very large and need adequate swimming room.

scajeo and Vinnyboombatz like this.