Toothless overflow box w/ critter guard

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by bebanovich, Jul 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bebanovich

bebanovich Plankton

I probably should start a build thread for my 40-gallon mixed reef but I finished this up today and took a few pictures.

No original engineering ideas here, just stuff I've picked up from lurking. Perhaps the egg crate + gutter guard makes me Captain Overkill. I glued the box a couple of days ago and banged out the snail guard today while cooking dinner.

* by the way, a tip for you guys out there . . . if you want increased access to money and time spent on this hobby, start a second hobby and make sure it's cooking. Do the shopping required for that hobby and reap the benefits. If I were to do ALL of the dishes too, I would be looking at a 12,000-gallon tank with frickin' mermaids & narwhals. However, I wash what I've cooked with up until the final scramble to get dinner on the table. My wife deems that worthy of about 40-gallons. *

Pics:
    1) Painting the egg crate. (tip: spray from each of 4 sides, dry, flip, repeat).
    2) Bad pic of scrap clear acrylic glued in to hold the guard.
    3) The view from my work bench.
    4) The finished box with gutter guard attached to egg crate.

Hard to see but the gutter guard is held on by 3 zips. Seems easy enough to snip and replace when it starts to get too gross.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

That's view is rough man, not sure how you tolerate it lol

following this with interest!