Tooo much flow from new Hydors

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by lillys Grandad, Feb 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Well, it looks like the 2 1050's and 2 1400's with the Red Sea Wavemaster will be too much for my situation...I have a bunch of soft/fragile corals..and a bunch of rock work..I moved stuff around..tried all the settings...even at the Red Seas lowest flow rates, it is evident these were too much for MY underwater world :(..all I did was upset the neighborhood.:p...I wont get into all the specifics, but what works for some may not work for others..we all know this.8)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Where did you place them and how were they aimed?
    My 1400's are about 6-8" down in the back corners, aimed slightly towards the surface and pointed at the opposite corners. I have two Rose Bubble Tip Anemones, a huge crown leather and a couple finger leathers plus frogspawns and other LPS with 170 lbs live rock and 330 lbs DSB and everything likes the random flows. My tank is 12" longer than a 90G at 60" but thats not much of a difference. Did you give things time to adjust to the new conditions?

1 person likes this.
  4. lillys Grandad

I wish I had room to lower the back ones and point them upwards, I tried all the areas I could fit them in...I would have to remove rock to be able to lower the ones in the back, an extra 12 inches would be great..but it just seemed to be very stressful to many things..I am keeping the wavemaster.. because the random flows and all the other features are very desirable and obvious...I just need to tune it down a bit...I let it run 4 days...torch and a 20 head candy all sucked up, they are starting to get back to normal now that I have shut down 2 of them. : / no worries....it'll all work out.:)

5. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

Just curious, what size tank do you have. I have a 75 gal with 2 1050's and 2 1400's and it is a lot of flow. I aimed my 2 1400's to the surface to agitate it surface more and all of my corals seem to like that better than when I had them aimed straight across. The only coral that isn't happy is my leather. It still opens but not as much as when I just had 2 1050's.

6. lillys Grandad

I have a 90..
    you both are right...UP !!...I was looking at it with blinders on....I believe I have found the "sweet" spot. : )
    Thanx...some times ya gotta "step awaaaay from the fish bowl" LOL

7. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

Fantastic. I hope your corals appreciate the new flow patterns.

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

Well, just a little update on the new powerheads and the red sea wavemaster...no more panic. : /
    ..Since I moved the powerheads around and finally got them in locations that work well with all that lives in my tank (thanx AZ and cgarner) ....I am here to report that not only is it all working, but I have noticed an obvious improvement in overall coral health and growth...now, we are only talking 4 days now since they were moved, but it looks to be a welcomed upgrade to the system. I will put up a little video in about a week to show how the flowmaster works (and give the coral a little more time to acclimate)....its not the top of the food chain, as wavemakers go, but it is pretty cool....and works well with the evo's. :) ...so far so good.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I was thinking I needed another power head, but decided to route mine up more after reading this! Much as gracias! Good thread! Thx! Much better movement!

1 person likes this.
  11. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Glad everything worked out for you :) I have a SUPER high flowing system...Koralia Magnum 8, Koralia Magnum 7, 2 Koralia Evo 5's, and soon to be 2 JBJ 1600's on a wave maker....they call me Vincent VanFlow :) I keep mostly SPS tho...but i do have a lot of LPS that just seem to LOVE the high flow :) Cheers to you for finding the sweet spot!

1 person likes this.
  12. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

was the flow really too much for the coral? even soft corals can be accustomed to very intense flow like in an sps tank. are you have a problem with your sand clouding the tank with the high flow?

i also always point my powerheads upwards to get some good water movement and get the water all oxygenated. glad to see it works now.

1 person likes this.