Too much live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by colcol79, Jun 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Hi i own a red sea max 130 litre tank, it has been set up for a year now.
    Upon first setting up the tank i was told i would need 25kg of live rock in a 130 litre tank.

So thus i have 25 kg of live rock.
    My question is......

Is this too much??
    Ive just read an article on this tank model and it states-

"AS A RULE, YOU SHOULD ADD 1KG/2.2LBS OF LIVE ROCK PER 10 LITRES/2.6 GALLONS OF TANK VOLUME. THE EXACT AMOUNT WILL VARY WITH THE TYPE OF ROCK YOU CHOOSE, BUT IT SHOULD OCCUPY AT LEAST 40% OF THE TANK VOLUME.
    FOR THE MAX THIS MEANS APPROXIMATELY 11KG/24LBS OF AVARAGE DENSITY LIVE ROCK."

I have recently started to add corals and feel as though the tank is rather crowded.

Can i remove some rocks?

Also i have a sand bed about 2 inches deep, and not a lot of sand on show round the rock (just a little on the front and sides.
    Should i have more sand and if so can this be added to the tank with no ill effects??

I will attach some photos of my tank please let me know what you all think!

ADVICE MORE THAN WELCOME!!!!

left side of tank.jpg

right side of tank.jpg

front of tank.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Doesn't look like to much to me. But its up to what you like. If you do take some out do it slowly. As for sand you can add more anytime. Rinse it good, then try to get it close to the bottom so when you pour it out it wont cloud up the water too much.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I actually like the scape you have there & that's a good amount of rock. It's more just personal preference. Should have 1-2lb LR for every gallon. Nothing exact. You can take or remove what you'd like.

5. Atlantico

Atlantico Plankton

dont take any you have about average amount of live rock per gal. And your live rock is looking great! :)

6. ivydog

ivydog Feather Duster

u can have as much as you want. there is no suchthing as to much live rock as long as there is swiming room and a nice flow over the rocks
    very nice tank

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

LR is like love & $ you can never have too much :), should be fine

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

+1 ivydog's advise, swimming room and good water circulation is the most important. If you add sand after rinsing put it in a leftover container to add to the tank. Slowly lower the container into the water and then slowly dump out the container at the point you wish to place the sand. Release it as close to the sand as possible.

10. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Here is what I found works good for adding sand. All you do is add a cup or two of clean sand to the funnel, scoop a cup of tank water to rinse it down thru the hose. It was real easy to place sand right where I wanted it without sand blowing all over. Just be sure to buy a new funnel and clean it well before using. Dont go grab the funnel from the garage.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Thanks for all the replys,
    as always 3 reefers have the answers!!

cheers!!

12. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Glad that the answers helped.... just found this thread and can only agree. Your tank looks great and IMO does not have too much LR.
    Good luck to you. I will be following this thread :)