Too much Live Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by HOSTA333, Jun 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HOSTA333

HOSTA333 Astrea Snail

Hi,
    Very new at this, help reefers.
    Do you guys think it looks bad? is it too much live rock in the display?
    The tank is a 60 gallon and I have about 55 pounds of live rock and 50 pounds of live sand. But the rock is super light. No frags yet just a few chromis.
    How would I make them all one colour.::)
    What would you guys do differently?

BDW the water is allot more clear now, I took the picture right after I placed the rocks.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. warlord

warlord Bristle Worm

I guess its all what you like, i like mine with alot of tunnels and caves so its all spaced out and the fish can swim through it. As for color i domt think that will happen except if it fets ccovered in coralline algae and than it would be same color but im not positive

1 person likes this.
  4. HOSTA333

HOSTA333 Astrea Snail

I am Thinking about using purple up, there are allot of Caroline algae on the rocks when I bought them.
    I love little caves, I made sure there was allot of little nooks and crannies that they can hide in. But I hate not seeing my fish, they are always behind the rocks. Only come out to eat.
    I feel used lol

5. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

You can never have too much lr, thats where your bacteria colonize, that breaks ammonia down. It looks fine to me, Over time your fish will adjust, and your rocks will color up. When you add coral, it will all blend in, i wouldnt touch it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 on all points.

I also would not recommend dosing PurpleUp. You should never dose anything you can't/don't test. Just keep your Cal, Mag, and Alk at the proper levels and the coralline will spread.

1 person likes this.
  7. SnooknRedz

+1
    I used it, in my old tank, and i wish i hadnt. Sure i saw a little more growth, but i also had algae come on. Not sure the 2 had any thing to do with it, but it was just my experience.

Proper water changes with the right salt, will keep your calcium up plenty high. I wanted instant success and beauty, but after being in the hobby for a while, i learned nothinng comes quick in this hobby, except a for sale thread...

8. Click Here!

9. consumedcorals

consumedcorals Astrea Snail

PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on purple up...just dose kalk and you will be fine!

1 person likes this.
  10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Just do water changes rather than using a product. Rock work looks good to me.

11. SnooknRedz

its not just that simple... one must know what their cal levels are before dosing. Again if you dose something make sure you test it!!!!!

12. HOSTA333

HOSTA333 Astrea Snail

lol so everyone is against purple up... they are actually blending in nicely.
    I found some snails today after I woke up :)
    And what I believe to be a baby starfish (white) stuck on the glass