Too much lighting?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by st9z, Jul 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. st9z

st9z Plankton

sorrie to hear that geekdafied were you able to check any of the LPS corals with ur T5

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

1 person likes this.
  4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I never had t5's but my MH's only cost $15 a month, maybe I'm crazy, but thats not alot to me.

5. Sndwave80

Sndwave80 Bristle Worm

More light the better. Example I have 840watts on a 120 gal (48x 24, 24) and I have seen the same tanks with over 1500watts. I thought I was on over kill, but their tanks looked even better. Go as big as you budget can allow, you wont regret it. Hope that helped!

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

+2 on that...there is no match for a MH. Once you go around and see some different tanks you will be able to tell which ones use the real light. If I was worried about an electric bill cost I sure wouldn't of got into the marine tank hobby. It's a hobby and is going to cost some money to run, just part of the deal. :-/

7. pwoller

pwoller Spaghetti Worm

I have the Nova fixture on my 72 bow front and it is great. You should be fine on your 55.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Effects of Too Much Light

Over-illumination has many potential negative effects, including coral bleaching and UV burning. However, many aquarists do not encounter these obstacles, both because of good acclimation practices and the inherent ability of corals to adapt. Instead, there are other actual effects of “light overkill.” Chief among these is increased temperature due to the light, which can in turn lead to bleaching and other mortality. Another potential threat is the increase in algal growth. It is notable, though, that all of these side-effects can be alleviated with a little know-how: temperature problems are corrected by raising the lamps and adding fans (or even a chiller) and many articles and books (all of which are more authoritative than myself) have been written concerning algae control. Why then, did I even mention these aspects of light when they are so easily corrected? The simple answer is that I wish to be complete. Truth is, the biological effects of over-illumination, because they are so easy to correct, are only a small part of the problem (but they are effects which still exist!). The main item which I have a hard time accepting is waste.

Otty, re: wife, don't feel alone. ;)

10. st9z

st9z Plankton

thanks everybody for ur input i just sold my MH and my T5 are coming in on Weds...

greekdafied ur tank looks fat! How big is it?

1 person likes this.
  11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

12. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I did not know you had MHs :eek:, Well in that case post before and after pics. Hope you like your T5s.