Too much light for an Anemone?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by phoenixhieghts, Jan 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hey Everyone!

I have a Condy (might i add a very pretty one), which is constantly reaching downwards. Altho not moving its foot but more stretching.
    Is this a sign that it may be recieving too much light and doesnt like it?
    It's my first anemone so im not too hot on this.

I use x4 24w T5's (2 white and 2 actinic) over a 31 gallon cube. it was at the top but i've just moved it to the bottom.

Heres a pic :)

[​IMG]

Im not very good with the camera - can't seem to reduce the blue

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I wouldnt think it would be too much light. Maybe just adjusting? It should move in time if it doesnt like the light its getting.

4. phoenixhieghts

thats what i thought, its nots moving but the whole foot is stretching really long downwards (away from the light). This annoys me, as when it does this it stings my Xenia :mad:

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I doubt it is getting too much. Anemones love light. Was it under less light before? If so it's just adjusting to the new light. It's kind of like a sunburn.

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

maybe not enough light? Never heard of any one keeping anemones with out halides but I have not tryed it all.
    If condy didn't like light it would move. That is one nice thing about anemones is they can move where they like it the most.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

might be ready to split...which could be a good or a bad sign! I was told that the anemone will spread its foot and try to attach its body to a rock to keep it open for the split.

How is your water parameters? How long have you had the tank and how long for the anemone? Are you feeding it?

I dont know a whole lot of keeping anemones without a MH so I dont think it is getting too much light as they love light.

Might also be simply adjusting to you moving it....did you injure it by chance when you moved it...their foot is very sensitive also. They will move where they want to go, unfortunately sometimes where you dont want them

8. Click Here!

9. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Anemones can be kept without halides, and I don't think I'm the only one who does it. Regarding it stretching, it could be like the others stated that it's getting used to the light or maybe it just does it. One of mine (top pic) likes to "stretch out" quite often and has been in the same spot for a couple of months. Not sure why it does it but it seems fine.

I have T5's and T12 on one tank with a very happy anemone (seabe) that keeps growing and growing....
    [​IMG]

And another tank with T5's and PC's (which I hope to replace soon) with a seabe that is strange looking because of it's color, but seems happy!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I don't think it is "too" much light. How did you acclimate the little guy to the tank. You could try moving it to a lower space and seeing how it reacts. But heres the thing with anemones, if they are unhappy, they will move. My guys split and move EVERYWHERE. I have a congregation of 3 for my clowns and two little loners somewhere is the tank hah.

1 person likes this.
  11. phoenixhieghts

Cheers! I figured it prob wasnt tpo much light, and if he was unhappy he would of actually moved instead of stretching. I must admit when i acclimated it to the tank he went straight to the top. He's now on the bottom and i will eventually move him to the top agian.

Nice anemone BC

1 person likes this.