too much calcium??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by bvb-etf-luva, Feb 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

  1. bvb-etf-luva

    bvb-etf-luva Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    2,326
    Location:
    denver
    i think i will just let it naturally drop, i have already stopped dosing
     
  2. Click Here!

  3. steve wright

    steve wright Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Messages:
    11,283
    Location:
    shenzhen Guangdong PRC
    OK, just dont overlook the monitoring of the other parameters DKH and PH
    and obviously keep checking for deposits on the heater (white dust)

    might want to consider the product you are dosing and the method you are using to dose for future

    Steve
     
  4. ComputerJohn

    ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2,123
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    WOW 900ppm on Cal??? Even the Mag is high, but the KH is too low. Is he doing a Cal roid cycle.. lol... I agree, stop dosing for now, until you cal and mag drops.

     
  5. bvb-etf-luva

    bvb-etf-luva Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    2,326
    Location:
    denver
    ive stopped dosing, thats the only thing that doesnt seem spot on
     
  6. evolved

    evolved Wrasse Freak

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    Messages:
    4,257
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Unfortunately, this is a perfect example of why you should never dose without testing.

    Best of luck.
     
  7. bvb-etf-luva

    bvb-etf-luva Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    2,326
    Location:
    denver
    haha yeah quite a mixtake there
     
  8. Click Here!

  9. macon77

    macon77 Fire Worm

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2011
    Messages:
    154
    Steve...

    This is the second thread I've read this evening in which it seems like you go above-and-beyond to help folks out. Kudos to you.
     
    1 person likes this.
  10. inwall75

    inwall75 Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2003
    Messages:
    7,172
    Location:
    America
    When the levels are that high, I wouldn't allow them to drop on their own. People think that Calcium is good for them....it's not. Technically it's a poison to them and they remove it from their bodies. The end result is a skeleton. Over eons corals have adapted to tolerate NSW amounts of the major elements (Ca, Mg, C (alkalinity)). If you force stony corals to deal with twice the amount they are used to, you're seriously stressing each and every polyp. Think of it like this. If I were to give a human a prescription that doubled their heart rate, it might not kill them but it sure would put a serious stress on them.
     
  11. Powerman

    Powerman Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    Messages:
    3,460
    Location:
    Colorado
    Well I never would have though 900 was possible. Water can only hold so many ions and if one is hight then others need to be low... but with high Mg and normal Alk I just didn't know that was possible.

    I agree with inwall though... at that level I would do some water changes. I'm all for letting numbers drop naturally when they are high, but that is pretty out of wack.

    I realize this is a week old... curious where you are at now.

    Last.... when dosing 2 part one really really needs to test their new salt water to see where it is at. All of them vary greatly. Mine had high cal and lower (normal) alk... as a result I had to dose more Alk than Cal to keep things right.... but don't just assume they are in spec of natural sea water and equal parts.

    Honestly.... I suspect faulty testing... but you went all through that and cross checked with several kit. So I would reexamine your dosing procedure. Your math has to be off some where or you are reading something wrong because that is pretty drastically out of wack and I don't think I could have got my tank there even if I tried. And trust me I screwed up a couple of times but in my case it just precipitated out and I calcified my pumps.

    I would highly recommend a thorough examination of all your pumps and a good vinegar bath if they are calcified. You can burn them up.
     
  12. sostoudt

    sostoudt Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    5,958
    Location:
    Chesterfield, VA
    A 90% chance of a heart attack, 10% chance of becoming a superhuman.

    in all seriousness tho I would stop dosing.