Tony Vargas 300-Gallon Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Tony Vargas, Jun 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tony Vargas

Tony Vargas Flamingo Tongue

Thank you, and enjoy it. i know I enjoyed putting it together.

2. Click Here!

3. Tony Vargas

I ordered the tank from Riley’s Reef in Jupiter, Florida and paid them a visit once they had the tank at the store. After a thorough inspection of the tank I had discovered that the bottom molding was warped from sitting in the blistering heat for too long. They offered to replace the molding, and I said I would think about it. But, by the next day I had decided against it for a few reasons. How long would it take to get the replacement molding, what if something goes wrong during the repair and what if the tank was compromised during the repair but it wasn’t till the system was operational for a few months before something went wrong. Not worth the risk, better off with a new replacement.

Always inspect!!!

[​IMG]

4. Tony Vargas

Needless to say, you will love the lights - slow down we are not there yet :p

New stuff to introduce with regards to lighting, which I have been working on quietly for two years.

Big Surprise!

5. Tony Vargas

Thankfully the stand that was built for the 500 will now support the 300 with class. Joe Biesterfeld a local Reefer with a landscaping equipment company built me a large custom steel stand made out 2x3-inch piping. One of my objections toward my 90-gallon stand is that most manufactures build these stands with no height and when viewing or observing the aquarium up-close in a standing position I find myself constantly crouching down to see what’s going on near the surface. With that being said this stand was built 40 inches tall and topped with two ¾-inch pieces of plywood giving the stand an overall height of 41½ inches. The tank measures 27 inches high with an overall height of 68½ inches.

The stand measures 96”Lx36”Wx40”H and was powder coated to protect the metal from rust, and sealed it with five coats of Rust-Olin high gloss black paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

My 8' stand is built out of 2 x 2...........you will need some horse power to move yours:)
    So your tank is set up with standing as the main view line, that height is like setting your reef up on the kitchen counter. Thank goodness for custom builds RIGHT my stand is 24" high so when sitting the center of my 300 is eye level.
    You will for sure have a show piece:)

7. Tony Vargas

A carpenter was commissioned to build four wood panels; one for each side of the stand (one for the left opening and another for the right opening) and two for the front openings. The carpenter also extended the very top cap to give it an inch lip to three sides of the stand (the sides and the front). This one-inch lip allowed the addition of a decorative crown molding trim from underneath. Another wood panel was added to the stand as a floor; notched accordingly to rest firmly on the steel frame.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Tony Vargas

Making a decision as to where in the family room the new tank would be placed I thought would be easy. At first the thought process was to place it where the 90 was sitting all this time. But, to move the 90-gallon tank would prove to be a herculean task, as it would continue to operate during the build of the 300. The wall with the entertainment center was the solution I was looking for and was bought to my attention by Terence Fugazzi during one of his visits. His reasoning was sound as it would make a visual impact once you walked into the room. First thing you see!

[​IMG]

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that certainly will make a visual statement!

11. ravensix

ravensix Fire Worm

That's great plan. I like it. I wish I could do that in my living room

12. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I like that idea :thumb_up: