Tony goes to the Philippine Reefs

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Tony Vargas put it this way... there are 800+ varieties of stony corals in the world, over 300 are at the Great Barrier Reef, but over 600 are in the Philippines. "So, if you want to see stony corals, you go to the Philippines!" That is exactly what Tony did. Tony went to Apo Reef, the second-largest contiguous reef in the world at 13 square miles. Subsequent dives were at Tubbataha atoll reef, a World Heritage Site covering 374 square miles. Both of these reefs are designated as protected parks and well managed. According to Tony, nobody gets in and out without them knowing. That is great to hear as not long ago, all news seemed to be about cyanide water bottles and dynamite. The following photos show otherwise. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tubbataha Lighthouse is located near the southern tip of South Atoll on a small low islet called South islet. It is surrounded by reefs. Tony was 4 miles out from it diving and says it was solid reef all the way back.

[​IMG]
    Tony made light of the pain of traveling 33 hours in a coach seat with his American butt and then having to take one of these 'cabs' with all of his luggage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tony pointed out an amazing thing about this photo. The corals on the right side are at about 40 feet. The Corals on the upper left are at around 90 feet. That is clarity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Love this staged shot.

[​IMG]
    An interesting observation from Tony on Fungias - all active Fungias were on top of corals. Only dead ones were on the sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tony felt bad for clams after diving out there. He observed in these conditions, they would start out fine, but ultimately they became real-estate for corals to grow on. Eventually they would meet their demise, as this one demonstrated - by being overgrown.

[​IMG]
    Just stunning.

[​IMG]
    Look close at this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The neon tetras of the reef.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Big thanks to Tony's camera rig.

And big thanks to Tony. This was a thoroughly enjoyable talk and the stunning slides had more than a few of us standing on the sides to take it in. A highlight of Reef-A-Palooza 2014.

evolved, Billme and civiccars2003 like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's nice to see what appears to be healthy reef. Those images are impressive with regard to the number of corals and their over all appearance.

I would like to know what Tony's thoughts are regarding the Fungia's position on the reef. More flow, therefore more available food, more light?

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed it. :)

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 Awesome!!!!!!!:cool:

Corailline likes this.
  5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

really beautiful! it is nice to see a healthy, thriving reef

I looked close at that one picture - is the fish inside or outside of the goggles? cool picture!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. Tony Vargas

Tony Vargas Flamingo Tongue

Here are the facts, in order for a larvae or planulae to settle on a reef it must first find a suitable location, such as a bare rock sturdy in nature. If it settled on sand it would not have stable ground, so shifting tides, flow or currents would surely destroy them. As it grows on this sturdy rock it becomes dislodged from it's own weight or some outside force (crabs, fish, falling corals). Since it is growing on a stable surface other corals have also called this location home and are now growing around them. The healthiest plate corals were found on top of other corals, on top of each other and on rubble rock. Dead plate corals were found in the sand and there could be many reasons for this. Something else that is fact, the epidermis on a plate coral reaches around under the coral and for this part of the coral to breath it must be ventilated properly. Sitting on rocks and other corals allow the coral to properly ventilate.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thanks so much for the detailed response.

My impression or interpretation was that the name Fungia was given because they do sprout like a mushroom. They have a stalk, as you stated, eventually under their own weight they break away.
    It's interesting that for years in the hobby the common advice was to attempt to keep Fungia on the sand bed because of the epidermis, people often commented that to prevent tissue injury it was best to leave them on sand vs rock. Yet another old myth proven wrong.

Again enjoyed the images very much.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow, the best images I've seen, either diving reefs, or on the net.

Thanks

Have any more shots?

The next time I go somewhere to dive, I'm going there!

One more edit: When I show non reefers pics of my DT, some often say, aren't all the coral reefs dead due to Global Warming?