Todd's ATS Build... some new pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Aug 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nah, that couldn't be it, nah ;-)

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

How do think your PH will be with no skimmer? Mine drops about .3 when it's off.

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

untrue im following your growth and I have flirted with the idea of setting up one myself but i have limited space + im thinking maintenance would be a pain. but i agree natural vs chemical is always better

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

your scrubber looks to be doing a great job Todd! I'm interested to see how you proceed with possibly doing away with your cherished chaeto and then maybe even the skimmer. Good luck and keep updating - I think many follow your threads

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hey there, thanks for the reply. I always get your name wrong- I think it was Brian? You were kind enough to include me in your Tank Tour when I was in Big D!
    While I'm sure that the Ph may/would change; I really never check it anyways- ignorant bliss in my case?

I certainly understand the space requirements thing. I have seen ATS that are sort of self contained and small- while still producing excellent results!
    I'll defintiely post if I feel the maintanence is not worth it, however mines is really simple to clean and put back on. I think it will be as much or less than cleaning/wiping my skimmer cup actually.

Thanks Mindy! I've already gave away about 75% (6 gallon ziplocks) since it's been on. Things still are looking better than before. I think and have read that the ATS does a better job of export than the chaeto anyways.
    The skimmer has been turned down some as well, so that the bubble column is slightly lower in the neck.

Time will tell- I'm fairly optimistic that it will continue to improve- which was the goal in the first place

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

do you regularly test check nitrate and phosphate?

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

No Mindy/OFK- I don't. I do go by the 'look' some though.

Second cleaning of my left side panel.

[​IMG]

By Golly, I think it's working!

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I sure hope you have an FTS from before the ATS and will soon post an after shot.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Sort of on the FTS's
    Although I had a lot of GHA, it really wasn't on my rocks, only on the backwall/overflow/and bottom.
    While I did remove alot of it over the last few months off the bottom/CC shallow bed;
    it is already virtually disappearing!
    I've made no other changes in my rountines.

12. Moulton712

Moulton712 Plankton

Nice work, I just made an algae scrubber too a few weeks ago. For the spray I cut poly bags I use to sell corals and use them. I don't use zip ties for the canvas instead I cut one size bigger pvc about 1.5mm thick and cut a slit so it looks like a C. Just cut a square out of the mesh and rotate your new retainer.

[​IMG]

SkyFire likes this.