Todd's ATS Build... some new pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Aug 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks, just checked this morning- no spray on the sides of the sump area where it is, and none on the lights reflectors either.
    The next time I change it, I'll use the sheets lengthways over the top so that it goes down even further.

2. Click Here!

3. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

4. Windy

5. Windy

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

is distancing the lights/ narrowing the slits that feed the scrubber not an option?

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nice boxes- looks like a lot of fab/build work

The recommend the lightd closer for a more intense spread.
    If the slit in the upper tube in too narrow, the sheet of plastic won't fit in it.

I re-read sections of the thread by Turbo Aquatics- it mentioned the saran wrap
    The saran wrap works like a charm for my essentially oversized/overpumped ATS.

Swisswiss likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Week Two pictures- (que drum roll....)

[​IMG]
    In the sink- the other sheet also (two sheets- only cleaning one at a time so as to keep it taking up nutrients more evenly)
    [​IMG]
    I then cleaned the sheet off with tap water and the palm of my hand, no fingernails or scraping.
    Back in place, coparison pic of a lower corner of each sheet
    [​IMG]

SkyFire likes this.
  10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

JUst under 3 weeks, first cleaning of my other side/sheet.
    I did however take both sheets out of the slots, clean them with a toothbrush (a spare one), and turn the pump on to flush the slot.
    Unfortunately on my system, it pulls from an area where it can get chaeto strands in the ATS.
    I try and keep a piece of coarse sponge/foam over the intake to help keep it out.

[​IMG]

My intention is to stagger the cleaning; so maybe every 4 days clean the other sheet. My hypothesis is that one will always be pulling a max amount of whatever/growing hair algae at a time.
    It looks as though the sheet I cleaned first already has as much algae as this one!

** While I realize that my system just may be going thru a better phase with nuisance algae,
    it does seem to me that the ATS is already making an improvement/less algae in areas, etc.

I had most of the things for this ATS build already, and spent very little on this and so far, it looks like it will be worth it.
    I thought about lanthium chloride, GFO or other phos removers, etc.
    While I had massive amounts of chaeto- I saw on a YOuTubed Macna talk that chaeto pulls something like a 16:1 nitrate/phosphate ratio out of the water?
    I've already reduced my chaeto mass by over 50%, hoping/hypothesizing that my ATS will take over the reduction faster. With any luck, I still plan to reduce my chaeto mass I've been so proud - to 0%!
    - Then I'll work on getting the skimmer out too? That will be last though. I've already turned it down some/bubble height- so it pulls less/thicker skim.

One of the vendors at a Frag Swap recently told me he was having big problems with the spray off his ATS too. I think his name was Eric?, anyways- he told me my saran wrap idea worked like a charm! I did mention to him that Although I had thought of it myself- I did infact see on one of the main threads that others had already tried it too. There are infact varoius products made for a similar purpose.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well, no one seems to excited.

I am. Although this has been around for years.........I think it's a wave of the future.

Growing algae vs. chemicals...... I'm sticking with it

SkyFire and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I like the idea and used it on my last system with good results. I guess people want to see your pretty corals and not your icky algae.Go figure.:)

SkyFire likes this.