Todd's ATS Build... some new pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Aug 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

So, is my ATS slowly stripping away nutrients that many of my coral actually need to grow?

I was thinking no since I do have fish and feed them, etc.

2. Click Here!

3. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

IMO, you can strip nutrients out much more with other forms of filtration, to an unnatural state. Like, hyper-aggressive GFO use, etc. So I would agree, you're likely not.

scaquariums likes this.
  4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well, my main DT ATS is still doing well, one panel lit both sices with LED's, the other panel lit both sides with CFL's

But I just took my FT off the main system so it would be more of a true QT for coral, etc.

And I fashioned it's own sump with RP, and another version of my ATS!
    **Except this time, I didn't cut the slot, I drilled small holes along a line instead.
    Seems to work well so far/so good

[​IMG]

DSC reef likes this.
  5. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

That's the bowtie version :)

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Haven't been on 3Reef in a while.
    STILL have my 180DT- slpowly recovering, slowly starting to getr some coral back, etc.

Recently after I had a massive iatrogenic coral die off in my main system, within a few months every rock had GHA growing all over it! I NEVER had GHA!
    My fish were fine, so I didn't panic, did a few WC's, and tried to let my ATS take over and 'kill' it all. I never manually removed and/or scrubbed anything.
    Lo and behold!- within a few months- it's ALL gone!
    So, I decided to reduce my ATS capacity/potential by 50%, by taking one of my 2 'sheet's away. I decided on the CFL side as the reflectors took up a lot of room over my sump anyways. My LED Grow lights are much loser profile.

I posted this on my Regional Forum WI Reef Society 10 days ago:

OK, so I made some minor changes to my ATO's

I had been think'n (this may not end well ;0), that I wanted to go DOWN to one sheet on my main ATO.
    various reasons- the main one being my ATO is stripping things quick, and too well.
    When I went from EVERY rock that never had GHA TOTALLY covered in it, and then ALL of it gone within weeks- I'd say it's a powerful remover of mainly phos and nitrates.

SO, staying with my low/no budget builds, I used a left over piece of 1.5" PCV and bought another coupler and end cap.
    I decided to go holes instead of slot this time. So I drew a line and used an area of the preprinted lettering on the pipe to guide as well. Instead of drilling the 1/8" holes in a sraight line, I staggered then a bit and angled the hole to the inside with my cordless dtill.
    He it is during the flow test:

[​IMG]

I'm using my LED's, and took off the CFL side completely.
    So now instead of 2 x 10.5x13.5" screen, I"m down to 1.

[​IMG]

AND, the ATO I have on my FT system, has not really grown any green algae in months, so
    I took the sheet I took off and cut it to size and am now using it on the FT's ATO.
    (Both sheets were scraped clean before taking these photos, both had grown a think sheet of algae within days on the LED, and the CFL lit side.

[​IMG]

(-| I know, right?

So in a nutshell, I reduced my ATO's capability by 50% on my DT system.
    We'll see how it goes, the way I did the change, I can change it back within minutes.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well, Now down to one sheet of ATS- it's about 120 Sq. In. each side.
    With the 30W grow light LEDs- Ebay

After 7 days, I turned the LEDs and the Water off and took a picture
    (This was an established ATS, last scraped 7 days ago)
    [​IMG]

And with the LED's on, water off
    [​IMG]

So far, so good, I'm hoping this way I won't strip too much nutrients, and still not have much or any nuisance algae.
    I don't test for phos or nitrates really.

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Don't worry, a scrubber can't strip nutrients too low like additives can.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I know you have way more experience than I about this,
    But a fellow reefer, who grows some really good stuff, had his PHos going to low and affecting his corals, and he took it offline.
    I think I had some issue too, however combined with my Levamisole disaster, not sure what effect it really had.
    I made the decision to reduce my potential by 50% on the DT system- and see how things go.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

In a never seemingly never ending quest to improve the function of my personal DIY - ATS's

I have found perhaps my final 'splash guard'

I had some black plastic piping around my house- the smaller one was an old basement sump pump discharge hose; the other was an old downspout discharge hose- hence for this project- $0 additional cost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]