Todd's ~ 320 Gallon System- A New Biginning?

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Todd_Sails, Aug 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

well hurry up already lol....looking great, can't wait to see the end result.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Anxious as in? Just curious......

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

About the transfer, and want it to happen soon.
    Maybe anxious doesnt describe my feelings well.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I skinned all of my stands after the tanks were up and running. What's inside is the important part IMO.

1 person likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Here is the picture of the various tanks I've emassed over the last few months.
    Some are them for a potential sump change.
    The drilled bottom 40B is to incorporate as a frag tank into my system.

[​IMG]

From left to right
    - 55g.- sticker on bottom says to bottom is tempered, doesn't mention the -ides. This was obtained free from a church friend.
    - 30g- has baffles to be used as a sump, no holes drilled
    Obtained free from fellow local reefer
    - 40B, two bottom holes drilled for 1inch ID bulkheads
    $30 local reefer
    - 50G Rubbermaid Stock tank. Drilled with two bulkheads- used as a frag tank
    Free from local reefer
    - 55g double walled container
    $40 from local off CL

I'll probably use most or all of them for my 125g to my newer 180g transfer.
    Using most of the 125g water, and plan to have a lot of water made up so that the v0lume will be enough to get my 180 and sump going.

[​IMG]

My trusty ShopVac made it easier to do FW flow tests and filling all the above tanks and scrubbing them with my trusty scrub brush- on a Stick!
    By removing the paper filter, it vacuums water really well and fast, and gets all the sediment, dust and dirt in the process. It has really come in handy.

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I'm about to skin mine. I put a gunstock stain on my wood and just finished putting a coat of spar/satin finish on the outside. Do I need to spar the inside of the skins as well? I wasn't sure if that chemical would mess up anything down in my DIY sump.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Looks good Todd. Kinda looks like my garage with the excess tanks. I just switched the 20L to a 40b and am way more happy with it. I'm getting anxious to see this set up. The progress you've made is awesome! Keep it up. Keep up with the pics, it looks awesome!

1 person likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

anxious is the right word :) I just didn't know if you meant wanting to get it moving or nervous about the whole move and transfer. Sounds like both :)

1 person likes this.
  11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks for the tip/advice Jerry! That just may be what ends up happening.

IMO- you want to seal or treat the inside wood with something- especialy if your sump is in the stand- then it's just as important, or even moreso.

Thanks Will

Thanks Mindy,
    I feel I have the patience, to allow things to fall into place so to speak with the timing and progression of things.
    Careful planning helps give me confidence. My goal is to have zero livestock losses.
    I'm still patient enough to wait until I have all the 'ducks in a row' as they say, before the big day. The 'big day' isn't even set yet, to much to still do ;-)

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

In preparation for the ~50% heavier DT, today I made and installed a header over an existing doorway to my sump area in my basement.
    It took me a while as I dont have a saws-all.

The header i made
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*I also put some shims between the joices and the top of the non weight bearing wall. Even with my 125 above it, it didn't sag to touch it.
    So I figured if the joices were going to sag any, it's not as likely as now the non weight bearing wall, with vertical 2x4's, my new header, etc., is there to take so load.