Todays dumb question

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by techno2, Jun 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Can hermits, snails, and coral type life, bring home diseases from the LFS ?
    What diseases do they / can they get ?

I am wondering if these should be QT befored joining genpop as well. Can they carry Ich if they do not get it ?

\Cheers

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yes they can, which ones, you ask? I dont know the names persay. Luna

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Well, For example,
    I want to go the LFS and get 2 more of the Mexican Turbos. The tanks at this place are not the cleanest and dont have my QT set up yet. I may this weekend though,. So it got me thinking. Do they ?

I wouldnt buy a fish from there and put it in my tank thats for sure.

I am currently treating my tank wdith Seachem ParaGaurd for the FlameHawk and will be completing and doing a 30% change this weekend. I sworeto myself that I would not add any new fish without getting a QT setup.

Same goes for non fish I guess is my question.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

can turbos carry fish parasites?? no. I don't know of any that turbos get but I'm sure there's gotta be some.

6. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

If you wouldn't buy a fish from them then why take the chance with any other livestock? I think you solved your own problem. It's not worth the risk to all the hard work and $ you've already put into your tank.

7. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I have never QT any snails or corals but then again I only get what looks healthy...but im sure they could. Any living animal can be a carrier of something...just my 2 cents.

8. Click Here!

9. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

it is always better when you can see what you are getting, many times when you buy it on line there maybe things in them that you wont know about, some are good and some bad
    that's for you to find out. now when you buy something at the lfs, you are looking right at it, there for if you get something on fish or frag coral...etc.. you can blame yo self...lol

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I guess you are right.
    My problem is I dont have a QT. Sure its easy enough to set up, but when you stop by the LFS, pick something up the last thing on your mind is setting up a QT for it and waiting the couple weeks to add to the main tank.

I guess I need one set up all the time to avoid the issue.

\Cheers