toadstools acting weird

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by tattoolew, Dec 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

My two toadstools are looking crappy, no PE and they are shrunk up and kind of hard. everything else frogspawn, zoas/palys, finger leather, acans, chalice, and metor shower all look great. My first toadstool was just fine for a week or so and then crapped out. my second one opened up right after acclimation but the next day nothing. Occasionally they will have one or two polyps out for a minute or so, I have tried placing in lower/higher flow/light areas and giving them a day or two but no positive response. So I know my first response "what are your Params?" Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 8 ph is 8.1 (I guess, I can never read the difference) salinity 1.026 perfect according to my new refractometer :). So is there any thing that would effect these two coral like this that would not effect anything else I have?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well they're pretty hardy, but after you move them they can take more than a couple days to open. Mod to higher flow or they develop the waxy coating and remain closed more frequently.

I would dip them if I were you just to rule out nudibranchs, although usually beginning munched on does not necessarily mean they will stay closed. The nudibranch that eats them looks just like a polyp of the coral and is cream colored.

Once again Sacrophyton can stay closed for awhile after changing placement. Too little flow will cause detritus to settle and algae to grow on the cap cause the coral to remain closed.

If you're not doing routine water changes I would try a decent water change first though.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Toadstools are extremely hardy and durable, but very fussy about their environment. Mine took nearly a month to fully open after introduction, and it would close for days after being disturbed. Place in a high-flow, medium light area and give them time.

5. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

dont they occasionally "moult" i know iv seen mine do that

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sacrophyton develop a waxy coating (I'll have to look up the name) that they shed to remove and prevent algae from growing on the surface and any accumulation of detritus. In low flow areas the corals struggle to slough off the coating and will remain closed until the the coating is finally shed. In lower flow areas detritus and organics are able to settle out on the coral causing the coral to produce the waxy coating and starting the cycle all over.

It's actually surprising how much flow a Sacrphyton will take or need. Many times the coral will slump over in an area with insufficient flow, providing more flow and the coral will right it's self.