ToadStool has a hole in the middle??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by elweshomayor, Dec 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Ok, well bump :)
    Any tricks on getting this buggers?

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Keep a pair of tweezers by the tank! If you do happen to see it, and it's on an easily accessible rock, you could give the entire rock a FW dip.

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Inspect the tank at night with a flashlight at night, if something is there you will see it and most likely be able to get it out

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Ok.. What's the lifespan of this things? And how do they reproduce?
    I am afraid I might have more than 1 or 2 in the tank...

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Oh and... If let's say... I take my coral out the tank and put it in another tank... Would it be wise to give it a lugols solution bath before transferring?
    Would that kill the nudibranch?

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

hey you guys... i think i found the culcript...

i just saw my coral banded shrimp taking bites out of the hole in my toadstool...

idk if he was just taking his chance after someone did the main job, or if it was him all along... i think im taking him out and giving it back to the LFS.... not cool.... i have to wait to take him out till tuesday because lfs is closed... any ideas on what i can do now?..

im still looking for any nudibranches just in case.. but right now i cought him red handed...

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

10. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

If you google CBS and reef safe or pro's and con's, you will find a host of people with similiar problems. I have had CBS in the past and nand never had a problem myself so I always considered them to be reef safe.

Keep watching, if you are convinved its he who caused the issue then you might want to pull the shrimp.

11. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

i doubt that a predator is ur problem here. rather a bacterial infection. i dosed my tank for a few weeks with red slime remover-which is an anitbiotic (my toadstool had the same exact "wound" and i have had mine for years, and havent added n e thing to the tank that would "munch on it") i blew the area off eveyday with a turkey baster and you keep see the flesh that was dead blow off the coral, this in part led me to the conclusion that is was a bacterial infection and not a predator. n e ways 15 days later the coral has made a great turn around. hope this helps.

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

+1 I had this happen when my heater failed, while on vacation early November. Took a few weeks to recover, but it's bounced back plus some now.
    15% weekly water changes seemed to do it.

Also sometimes this is from lack of flow. Sometimes detritus settles in the enter and causes this.