Toadstool and Finger Leather dying

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Robman, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I was told the same thing, and thought it was normal. But the finger is starting to fall apart, and the Toadstool had a small baby on the bottom, and it let it go.:(

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hey Robman, that finger leather has taken a turn for the worse over last couple of days
    originally it looked typical of this type of coral just prior to shed, but now it does look like its rotting

the toady - looks healthier to me and I have a theory ( feeling rather than definite answer ) that might explain the reason it does not look as good as it did previously
    on the old photo the birdsnest to the left and the monti to the right where both tiny
    now they are much bigger, is it possible that they have now grown sufficiently to negatively influence the amount of flow the toady was once expossed to?
    could the same hold true for the finger leather- I cant be sure from the images

as IME both these species can take and in fact like a reasonable amount of flow going over them ( not at them normally but I have one that even likes that)

Steve

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Your tank looks fantastic :)[/QUOTE]
    Thank you!!!!!:)

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Good Ideas Steve--If you look in the first pic--The shadow above the Toadstool on the back wall is a K-1, so it is getting good flow. Just wierd that 2 similar looking corals (fat trunks and tall) both petered at the same time.:cry:

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

cant see the shadow you mention in the photos where the birdsnest and monti are large
    but if you say they are getting flow, then they are getting flow

Bioreefdude mentioned the parameters - did you start using purigen?
    because it is possible that the tank is to clean for these soft leather corals and they are not getting the nutrition they need - Nitrates of 10ppm are better for most softies than 0 nitrates

your running carbon 24/7 I note, so that should rule out chemical warfare, are there any corals that can make contact with these when expanded?

wish I knew the answers for you as you say, everything else in there looks great

Steve

7. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

My large toadstool started to rot from the center, I chopped it up into frags away from the rotting parts and was able to save 5 pieces, which eventually grew back.