To Vacuum or not to vacuum

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Glipzcom, Jan 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Try placing your powerheads so that they bank off the glass! This way the water flow is not too strong in one area and the water gets distributed evenly to a greater amount of your tank!
    You can add some more sand depending on how much you have! It is good to have around 4"depth of sand! Just if you add it don't add it all at once or you increase the amount of living organisms that will die due to covering them up and suffocating them! I would maybe slide your sand or create a hole in your existing sand, then add the amount of sand that you want to.

2. Click Here!

3. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Leave it alone. I wiped out a tank messing with the sand. I just leave it alone.

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

What about fish like my engineer goby who is constantly moving sand around? Is he doing more harm than good? One morning I'll come in and there'll be a mountain of sand on the left side and none in the back. It's funny, I scrape it all back into place and he looks at me like what the heck did ya do that for LOL

5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I am on board with you guys. I syphon the water from the top of the tank. I do not even touch the sandbed....8)

6. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

That's very funny:lol:

7. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

there are other gobies, such as a yellow headed sleeper goby that will scoop sand of the top and eat the debris/algae in them, they also pick stuff off of rocks, make kind of a mess though swimming around dumping sand from the gill openings, cool fish though