To sump or not to sump?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jacwil, Oct 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

So you can tell from my sig what I have goin' on atm. I just picked up a friends 15g (24x12x12) and am considering setting up a sump with it. The thing is, my current stand for DT is open underneath...I am thinking about running the sump in the basement. I figured I could put something under the stand on the back to hide the plumbing that will be drilled through the floor, OR burying the plumbing in the wall which I'd just assume not do. I just measured the length from where the sump would be to the top of the DT and came up with approx. 9'. So my question is should I add this sump or leave things as is? Also, we are planning to upgrade next yr MAYBE, so that's something to think about as weel when I make this decision. (although I would love to keep this system up and running if the wife is onboard on that ;) ) Thx!

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Sump it up. If you're thinking about keeping this setup going after you upgrade then telling your wife that you would have to take apart two tanks as opposed to one, makes you're chances of her letting you keep it better.

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Based on what I see in your sig, I think a sump would be a nice idea. As it is, your tank is slightly overstocked for a 37g, and the extra 15g sump would give your fish some nice extra water.

BUT, for that size, I don't see the point in drilling your floor/wall and putting a 15g sump in the basement. Why not save time, money, and aggravation, and just get a new stand with a covered bottom?

Normally people with sumps in the basement are people with huge DTs and large, complex sumps. A 15g sump could be nicely hidden in a new stand, IMHO.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have never used a sump or refugium on my 55. They are nice and all (no argument) but they are far from necessary.

I would not mess with it in this scenario and if I did, I would do it in such a way that the plumbing could be reused for the upgrade later. But I would only keep the upgraded system (probably)...

6. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

All valid points! I def do not want to get a new stand...that 1 cost too much anyways although I suppose if I did go with a sump I could build a new stand easy enough. Hmmmm.

7. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

This is not a question for me at all.. i wont own a tank without a sump unless maybe it was a ten gallon. Sump it

8. Click Here!

9. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

go with a new stand and enclose the sump in it. for a tank that size it wouldn't cost that much to build the stand and i know i've seen some plans on here that you could change things up some. i would only go basement if i had a huge tank that wasn't going anywhere.

10. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

yeah i wouldnt drill a 37 to the basement.

11. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Dude if your gonna do a sump, i have a spare 55 you could use. If your going to put it in the basement go as big as possible.

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I vote basement sump, but make it a big sump fuge combo that you can hook your upgrade into also. Don't go through the work of a basement sump unless it's big!