To sock or not to sock??

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by adicus, Jan 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

You were right - The problem surfaced yesterday. If your interested, here's a link to the issue:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/jims-75-a-79667-3.html#post821030

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No filters of any kind. Used to filter aggressively. Now my skimmer picks up the slack. No maintenance is awesome, and all my corals are growing well and healthy. Going to give some marine snow a try to see how it does. I do like clear water, but I like healthy coral better.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

For what its worth that snow is 99.99% plain old water far better products around if you simply stir up your sump thats plenty of marine snow in there . Late at night or early morn is best time as thats the prime coral feeding time . I use a few power heads on a timer .

5. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Tangster - You've peeked my curiosity. My sump has a return from overflow chamber which is just four inches on each side. There are two openings down in this chamber which feed the Refugium and what would typically be described as the sump. In the sump is my protein skimmer which pretty much takes up the whole area. The water from this chamber overflows into another chamber where I diffuse the bubbles - water flows out of this chamber into the final chamber where flow from it and the refugium are combined and sent back out to the pumps. The only areas I have which are not fully agitated are the refugium and the pump return chamber. Since we want the fuge to be a swamp, I assume the stirring pumps would be placed in the pump return area?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not as good as bio balls for surface area and wil do little else other then to splash water I would simply line the bottom up to just above the water line with nice rock to add to the filtration of the system . The bacterium we are looking for on rocks are in the rocks not on the surface and all that air and oxygen will never allow them to grow in numbers to help out.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

With all those baffled area and the baffle wall there has to be plenty of eddy currents and settlement in there I myself never found a need for a baffle But if you look and see where any waste are building up then pump that area to get it into the water column . makes great food then move the pump between chambers that skimmer area has some settlement in it in the corners also.. .

8. Click Here!

9. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Thanks for the feed back - I'll see what I can find.

10. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

skimmer effect

I'm curious as to how much of the items we want to pass back to our tank by taking the sock out get pulled out by the skimmer? Anyone have information on this?