To sand or not to sand that is the question?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by ezz1r, Nov 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think since you have a quite a bit of LR, you could remove your sand bed all at once

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

My new build is BB I honestly think I won't go back to DSB.
    Some of my clients' tanks I have changed to BB. I find cleaning a lot easier but of course it will limit your tank's inhabitants.
    A few weeks ago, I had to completely remove a DSB from a client's tank per his request. I was on the fence as the tank is about three years old and my initial worry was NO3 and PO4 spikes.
    Instead, the nitrie spiked and he kept adding more and more fish without telling me.
    An immense ich outbreak occurred but eventually cleared up on a Saturday and all fish looked healthy. Then on Tuesday, all his fishes died. :(

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That sucks man. Goes to show rapid changes causes stress to the system biologically and stress to fish ultimately turns deadly. Poor fishies

5. dandk2261999

dandk2261999 Bristle Worm

Yeah I think that removing all the sand at once, coupled with cleaning live rock could be detrimental to the system. I would clean the live rock first to rid of GHA then in about two weeks remove the sand. give things time to settle and stabilize after cleaning the rock.

CBSurfrider likes this.
  6. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

That's the route I'm taking. I don't have many fish in there (4 PJ Cards, Desjardini, Humu Trigger, 6 line) but don't care to lose any of them in the process. Headed out to get pre mixed salt from my LFS and get to scrubbing. Water change tomorrow am, and clean out my sump as well. Talk to you all in a few days lol

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I would never go without a sandbed. To many species of fish require it, and too many inverts both need it for longterm survival. I like the natural look any how but thats jsut a personal opinion