to much light for colt coral?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Ice, Feb 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

about a month ago i install dual 400 watt 20000k metal halide lights and ever since my colt coral has not looked very good, he's about half the size of normal and quite blue in color kinda like when he shrivels up for night

water perameters are where they should be, and all other coral look perfect

any thoughts....?

thanks in advance

Peter

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Did you slowly acclimate your tank to the new lights for example have the MH on for 4 hours the first 4 days and slowly increase the time the MH are on 1/2 hour or so  every 3 to 4 days after that, until you have them on for the full amount of time that you want them on?  

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I have seen colt corals get too much light from metal halides. They will shrivel up and they may not recover if they were seriously burned. Put them in a low light medium flow area and see if they will recover. Fletch is right on target with the acclimation.
    Jim

5. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

fletch

i acclimated the system for the lights over about a 2 week period, 2 hours for the first few days, then 4 hours them 6 and then 12 hours.

but right now he's within 12 inches of the surface would that have anything to do with it? I will try placing him at the bottom of the tank and see what happens

Peter

6. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

@ work I put all the colts and similar softies under PC's....they come from deeper waters and shun extreme lighting.

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Ice I have a large Colt in my 75 with almost the same lighting and so far mine is doing great. Does anyone here think that the color temp of the MH lights may be the cause? I have 2- 400w 10000k bulbs and 2-110w VHO Actinic's

............................................ John