To much ammonia

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by outofthewater, Sep 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. outofthewater

outofthewater Plankton

So looks like I may have made a bone head move and added to much ammonia
    I added twice the amount and got my ammonia up too 1 ppm with ati test kit

Then two days later it was down to .50 so I added more to bring it up to 1ppm again

Now my nitrites and nitrates have been sitting at zero
    Started the skimmer back up after day 3 and it's going wild (vertex omega 150)
    Also should I be running bio pellets and gfo and carbon or can I ?!?!
    Should I add another bottle please help

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Hey ootw, I assume you are in the cycling phase? No animals yet? How long has your tank been cycling? If you are still just cycling, you don't have much to worry about. What size is your tank and how much rock do you have?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

No need to skim if you're cycling. Add an ammonia source and wait several weeks.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Since you're on Dr. Tim's forum, I'm assuming you used One and Only to jump-start your tank? Did you also start with live rock? Live sand? What is your current ammonia level?

6. outofthewater

outofthewater Plankton

K so I check my ammonia again last night and it's at 1ppm my nitrites are at 0 and my nitrate is at 15-20 ppm
    I used all dry rock witch I bleach and gave a muratic acid bath a few weeks ago the tank is 80 g and sump is about 30 running
    Yes I did use dr time about a week ago
    Just asking because I have live stock in a friends and an he gonna need it gone soon as this build is taking a lot long then I plans

7. outofthewater

outofthewater Plankton

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

You should retest your nitrate. You posted it was at 0 yesterday and 15-20 today? That is a big jump. How long have you been cycling? At this point I would say don't add anymore ammonia and just ghost feed until your ammonia and nitrite levels 0 out.

Billme likes this.
  10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

MD has good advice. Any ammonia at all is a bad sign. Also, API is not the most accurate test.

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Agreed. I just upgraded my Nitrate test kit to Salifert, which is what i use for Magnesium, Calcium, Alkalinity, and Phosphates, because I wanted a more accurate portrayal of where my parameters are at. I will not spend the extra money on a Salifert Ammonia or Nitrite kit because once you are cycled you won't really have issues with ammonia or nitrite. A lot of people will suggest a Hanna checker for your phosphates but I have no opinion on them because I have never used one, though I have a Hanna PH checker and it is awesome.

12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I have a buddy with a freshwater tank using fish to cucle his. I told him thats awful and torture to the fish. anyone have an aricle that says its bad to use fish to cycle.
    He said a "fish expert" at Petco said its the best way to cycle a tank