To Kill Or Not To Kill-please help in neumerous IDs

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by t-hac, Sep 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Pineapple Featherduster

The Whitesh, cotton looking thing.....
    Could be a Pineapple Featherduster.

They are really good for a tank, as they help filter the water.....BUT......

They can spread easy, and get on things.. you don't want them on..

IF they are Pineapple Featherdusters......

GoodLuck, Larry

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

That's all I have ever seen them do, is rapidly reproduce. And you wont think they are so beautiful when they take over your frag rocks and start stinging your corals to death. Good luck with leaving them.
    Again, joe's juice. Completely kills them and leaves nothing behind to reproduce. One shot and they are toast :rifle:

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I hate to disagree with everyone here but that last picture is far too fuzzy for me to determine whether or not it's actually an aiptasia. Can you take a better picture?

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

right on the spot, good job with identification!!!

6. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I think of a good rule of thumb....If you don't know....out they go!!!

7. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    haha i love that rifle emoticon,i gotta get me one of those,, i've been real lucky with pests and to date haven't had any, one of my lfs's has about three hundred pounds of live rock completely infested with smaller ones,i happened to be in there one day when he was turning some rocks around in another tank and said woa!, a great big aiptasia all by itself,i asked why he thought he grew instead of splitting while in the other tank it was obvious there was a lot of reproduction going on... he didnt have an answer but did tell me that he had been hunting them down in the infested tank and injecting them with kalk and that things were just getting worse.{all his tanks are plumbed together,same lights,everything} .
    theres also a roast beef place with a 750 gallon tank around here that has 7 or 8 real big aiptasia in it. same story with this tank,the owner never messed with em because they never hit plague proportions,because he never messed with em....
    i've also red that when anemones are stressed they will often split,makes sense as 2 have a better chance at survival than one,
    i'm not saying they shouldn't be removed,but i'd be willing to bet that every tank you've seen them overrun was set in my motion by messing with them in the first place.:)

8. Click Here!

9. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

I'd never leave aptasia in my tank. Joe's Juice is the best to get rid of them. Just DO IT...sooner the better! Kas

10. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

#5 looks just like one i have in my tank.. It grows big then small. It has moved 4+ times. Now it's sitting in the sand. I would keep it a while if i was you.IMO