To keep clam or not? Crocea

Discussion in 'Clams' started by jdameli1, Sep 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

2 weeks ago I placed an order to my favorite seller, I've been buying from him before he had an online business, and recently sent him a bunch of business.

So he added this clam as a thank you with out me knowing ( I would have preferred a coral)

Anyway I have 4 54watt t5's from what I've read these are not enough to sustain this clam right?

At the moment he's about 7-8 inches from the light, he seems happy, I've never had a clam so really have no idea. He put his foot down where he is now

If it was you would you keep or rehome? I dont want to keep if he doesn't stand a chance, I have a lighting upgrade planned but not till after the holidays

This was after 2 hours in the tank, I have since moved him up and away from the brain ( I know the brain shouldn't be on a rock, but my pbt nose bombs him otherwise)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316537721.069398.jpg

This is 2 weeks later
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316537825.290830.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

the clam will be fine, as long as your water is good, then it will be fine...

4 t5s is plenty of light for a crocea at 7-8" from the fixture....

but i will say this... on my old tank i had a 250 sunpod, i had a gold and blue crocea...when i transferred to my 40 breeder with an ati powermodle 6 bulb with ati bulbs and the clam pretty close to the top, i notices the gold and blue specs were not as crisp in color...

so i will say that IME, a crocea will prolly have more detailed colors under halides or some super bright lighting, BUT the lighting you have at the distance from the fixture will be fine..

the pics looks good, as long as it opening up ur good to go

4. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I agree, I have had crocea's under 6 T-5 lighting 18" deep in the tank and it was fine. As long as you have quality bulbs You should be fine. Be wary of the clam "jumping/diving" off the rocks though. My crocea did this all the time and that is the reason it is now on the sandbed.

5. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I think it's in a spot that it can't easily jump from.

So if it's okay under these lights does anyone have any good clam care reading?

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

7. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

That's an awesome article! Currently I don't dose anything, just biweekly water changes with good salt. Water has been stable with ca at 460 and Alk at 11

Can 1 clam deplete it that I will need to begin dosing?

I used to dose a 2 part solution but found the water params to be more stable with wc's

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I agree that 4 decent brand T5's at that depth is plenty for a clam. I have a 6 bulb and I'm keeping a clam at 23 inches deep.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

You may need to dose, a growing clam can use a lot of ca and alk. For now I would just monitor, with just 1 clam and few (?) hard corals, if your using a good salt it may be enough. Hard for me to say, but the test kit will certainly tell you.

11. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the parameters. Is ionic 2 part a sufficient supplement? Or should I be looking for something else?

I like to have things before I need them lol

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

:thumb_up: yes, B-Ionic is great. A lot of people like the BRS stuff better though, as if you use a lot, it's cheaper. I haven't used BRS 2-part so I can't really comment. I've used B-Ionic in the past and it worked great. I use kalk mostly now and just add a bit of 2-part to top it off. I am using C-balance because it was on sale. It also seems to be fine.