To drill or not to drill

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by RPM1, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

LOL, you gotta like someone with enough Chutzpah to just say the h3ll with it and drill!
    Good drill job, really good. I have seen guys that do that basically as part of their business and not do that well, no chips!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Thanks all

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You are building an overflow box right?

5. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Oh yes, Just bought the acrylic today and bent it. I have heard that sometimes it's difficult to mix plexi and glass and have them seal. I guess I am about to find out.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I know it's a silly question.. had to ask. Sorry. Rough up the acrylic where you glue it. Ues a lot of silicone. If the overflow leaks, then you could drain your whole tank. The Herbie is a good thing.

How big are your holes?

Doing a custom setup with equal holes gives you the ability to use the emergency for a bit more regulation.

Use a gate valve.

7. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Thanks for the tip about the plexi. I will certainly do that. Some one told me that I could use plain 100% silicone from a home improvement store. As long as it doesn't have an anti-mildew additive it should be fine. What do you know about that?

Both the holes are cut for 2 inch bulkheads. I wasn't sure I was going to need something that big so it may be overkill. I was planning to use the emergency to "tune" the system but I will find out how she runs next month when I can afford the plumbing and pump. Sorry but this is going to be a work in progress.

With all the horror stories I have heard about ball valves I will definitely be obtaining a gate.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I can't remember about the silicone. Just google aquarium safe silicone and you should find the GE brand name. Yes I have used it... just don't want to say for sure. I would look it up myself again. But ya... nothing with anti mildew.... and yes it is all true. A local in my area killed his entire long established tank adding a new refugium with the wrong silicone. Everything dead.... over night.

2" is awesome.... yes it will be overkill but who cares? Your main will probably be only half open.... leaving 2" capacity all on the emergency. You will sleep fine at night.

the thing is... using the emergency for drain is not recommended. You are taking capacity away from the emergency and if you need it it might not be enough. That is only because you use the big hole for the main drain and the small hole for emergency on a predrilled tank.

But for you... you have equal oversized holes and will be fine. By running the level up to the emergency and using just a bit draining over.... you will adjust flows even less.

10. dand355

dand355 Astrea Snail

temperd glass will have a stamp or little pin like marks were they hang the glass to temper it

11. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Powerman, Can I pick your brain a minute? I bent a simple U shaped overflow box. My wife didn't want it slotted as we have had issues with fish escaping into the overflows in the past. So I figured just a simple straight cut would work app 1/4 to 1/8 inch below where I want the water level and it would just spill over into the drain chamber. Am I on the right track with this? Will I get enough surface skimming action?

Thanks

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Humm... I would think you want it slotted. Most are. Perhaps your slots were too wide, or they were too short and the water level was close. I don't see why you could not get slots to work. They are pretty common and not many problems.

Doing anything under the water level will not get the surface skim good enough I would think.