to bio-pellet or not to bio-pellet, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by damon, Apr 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

do you think the benefits of bio-pellets are more than the risks for a SPS tank?

1. yes, Bio-pellets rock!

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. No, Bio-pellets are best left to the experts only and they always have a amazing tank anyway.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. damon

damon Sea Dragon

So I know it's not really fare to take a very complicated question and make it very simple, but that's just what I'm asking. Assuming that you know some about the risks to benefits of bio-pellets already. Do you think that the benefits out way the risks for a sps tank in general? Is a low nutrient tank really that much better for sps tanks? Have you had a tank crash with them?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

So long as you are a responsible reefer who pays daily attention to your tank and you do your research... bio pellets are very strong! Just make sure you take it slow, test regularly and respond to the reactions of your corals.

Personally I like algae scrubbers over bio pellets. There is no risk and no media to replace with an algae scrubber.

4. damon

damon Sea Dragon

Please vote, so we can have some simple numbers of peoples over all opinion on this.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I did!

6. damon

damon Sea Dragon

oh, I guess I'd have to be smart enough to click on the poll results to see that ;). thanks.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'd say leave them to the experts. I've seen several threads where an experienced aquarist crashed or nearly crashed a mature, established tank with (presumably) a bacterial bloom or too-rapid nutrient reduction by adding a bio-pellet reactor. If you start a tank with them and are vigilant with testing, etc as Grim recommended, you might be ok, but I wouldn't do it.

Personally, I prefer good ol' tried-and-true GAC and routine maintenance over all these new fancy gadgets and gimmicks, but that's just me. :)

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

you should add, "NO bio pellets are best left alone, even very experienced reefers have had tank crashes with them"
    i have heard of tank crashes from even the most experienced ...even one with the pellets running 18 months.

im not saying I'm the most experienced ...im far from it, i can say i didn't research nearly as much as i should have before i started using them. i did research though, had seen the threads on corals problems from pellets, but didn't know that bio pellets can cause oxygen depletion in a tank. i would recommend some sort of monitoring of oxygen levels when using pellets. watch your fishes breathing very carefully. if they look at all stressed, test! if you have no way of testing shut the pellets down.
    i lost fish i had from the start of this tank. it was sad to pull their dead bodies out. i didn't know what was happening till it killed 5 of my fish.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Bio-pellets work. I've heard of tank crashes on tanks run by experience reefers using Berlin method, using DSBs, and using any number of other systems. Tanks crash sometimes, it's sad but true. When they do, one is inclined to blame the newest thing in the tank in the absence of a clear fault. Sometimes they're right, sometimes it's speculation.

If you do not have lots of flow, a great skimmer, and stable alkalinity, bio-pellets may not work for you, but I suggest few systems will. The best choice under those circumstances is lots of water changes (which also causes crashes even in the hands of experienced reefers).

There are many ways to run a successful tank. With care, bio-pellets are definitely one, and they're my preferred method.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah, I've got a reactor and pellets sitting in a box, ready to go, but, I've read 1 too many threads about a tank crash that ultimately ends up back to the biopellets being added or upped. Plus with my hob huge with miracle mud, chaeto, and macro algae, I haven't needed it yet! fingers crossed. Although, people that have success with them, love them. I would say wait until you have your tank down to a science and really know its ins and outs before attempting.

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

oh i agree pellets do work at lowering nitrates... they will also lower your coral and fish load too...lol