Tips on skimmer maintenance and performance

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 20, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

BL would this also work with the 5000 seadra on my ASM G3. I don't know the current gph butt i am sure more flow would be better or maybe i am totally incorrect.

2. Click Here!

3. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

Skimmer: Skilter 250 Supreme

Problem: No foam

Solution: Kind man from LFS told me to disconnect the air valve that came with the unit, and put an air pump with limewood stone in the lower skimmer.

2 hours later, had to dump the collection tray, (water), and this morning, I have foam.

Not to mention, it's quiet now. Can hardly hear it running. :)

4. braileyt

braileyt Plankton

I have a Berlin Airlift skimmer and a Aquatic Gardens 2000 pump. It hasn't been working at all, the water levels have been the same, and I don't know what to do. I mess with the skimmer (push it down a bit, then up, etc) and nothing changes. Any suggestions??

5. mannyhernz

mannyhernz Fire Worm

SKIMMER Pro clear aquatics 150

PROBLEM skimming water

SOLUTION adjusted water level to below indicator on skimmer,then it worked like a champ!! i get at least 3/4 cup of skimmate every day!have to clean my 20x8x8 skimate box every 3 days!:smug:

6. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

I have a berlin turbo I keep having issues with the bubble either stopping completely or they are just to big making the skimmer innefficient.
    Solution after reading this thread I willconnect a air pump to it and try that.
    Had an issue with the collection cup filling with water and overflowing.
    Solution the return drain from skimmer is removable for regular cleaning and is not submursed in the water.
    also it has the two connecters above the drain i hook up air hoses to them and have them in the sump just incase they start to pour water out.

7. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I have a -Red sea Prizm
    Problems -To many to list (joke) Loud venturi suction
    Solution- Cut air hose on large angle to improve suction

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Skimmer: Coralife Superskimmer 65

Problem: Leaky adjustment valve (whenever raising water level i had to build an ark)

Solution: a nice hunk or silicone lubricant (the kind you use on O-rings on skimmers and pumps)

Problem: Microbubbles in tank

Solution: A: before moving it to sump i cut out a piece of less dense foam than the one that came with the skimmer's Bubble reducer box and stuck that in there. The pad that comes with it clogs way too fast and water spills over the top edge (even when not clogged), with its microbubble friends. B: in sump, took box off and sent told it to get a job and do it right, lol.