tiny little maxima clam??

Discussion in 'Clams' started by s14hayame, Oct 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have a culture that ranges from 4 to 6 um and is if the strain called Tetraselmis suecica this is what i have found to work for me better as a all a round clam plankton But I also run a culture of Nannochloropsis also Chlorella strains also these are feed in a mixed blend But raised segregated so I can control the mixture. With all Planktons you have to understand this is totally unregulated and ea and every grower can lie his Butt off about what he /she is selling you as live Phyto's and what types and what concentrations. I once had a sample checked to see what I was buying LOL it was nothing near to what I ws being told or sold. :)

It works for me and sounds like what you have is doing well for you and as I like to say if is not broke why fix it :) I'm going to clam up now :)

2. Click Here!

3. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Curious what the clam cost you?

4. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

just curious, how is the clam doing?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just Phish Quote { Curious what the clam cost you? } Cost me at the size of 1 inch + or - depending on the supplier , type and amount shipped average $ 8.00 to 10.00 or so. more or less have gotten them for less and at times more you know how the shipping and supply goes.

6. s14hayame

s14hayame Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hey guys been away for the weekend, i paid 15 for the clam. and its doing fine i guess, i mean it is still very sensative to lights and its developing some colors. as i mention previously when i got it was brown just brown no patterns or colors. so im still keeping my finger crossed :)

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

That is 100% false. There is a US labelling Act that ALL feeds have to conform to. You can not simply lie on a label, and not be in voilation of the Lablling Act. I have researched the Act many times (as have our lawyers), and am in complete compliance with every aspect. The Dept. of Ag. in Ill. can confirm what I say as they have signed off on my labels. Before you go slamming vendors of "plankton", you'd better research what your going to say is the TRUTH ;) You can contact your states Dept of Ag if you feel your brand was in voilation.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well I have not a clue as to who you may or may not be affiliated with But it seems a nerve was struck.. Hey If you produce a product or are just a lawyer who words labels for someone in a legal dept form someone else who does I'll ask you this what exactly does a label you have say ? I'm sure you will say something to the effect that we have 1 2 3 4 5 maybe 10 types of planktons and what type they are .
    And maybe I'm sure of a mention of all the omega fatty acids and maybe some other beneficial bacterias and or this and some of that and I'm sure there is always a mention of how pure and clean and all around how super it is .
    Oh did I mention how much more dense it is compared to all the other commercial products.. Thats fine I'm sure it is but seldom is it mentioned as to the amounts and types and at what portions ea. are mixed to to make up that density. Hey Sorry if i upset you .. But I mix and make my own so I know what I'm mixing and feeding and I know mine is clean and as pure as it can be or as well as anyone else's . But like with FDA law's call a product one thing like a vitiman or food supplement and not another thing like a drug or food! and there are far more ways to work around the labels. As for all the Live plankton labels I have ever looked at all say basically the same thing Buy mine its the best. and we have this and they don't. And again I'm sure that the total legal truth. So don't tell me what i said was false.. Unless you can show me a label that is on a single Live Plankton product that list the amount of water to plankton concentration and at what density that each of the plankton listed on the label are at what and how much sugar or dextrose is left in them from the feeding of them .

As I said its basically a very unregulated industry and as long as you have in the bottle what you say on the label its legal. Its not like a label for a food or medication for human consumption and even a Dog or cat for that matter evan a dry flake food . So I ask you what does your lable say ? Again sorry if I struck discord with you and again all I said is I prefere to grow feed and and mix my own for my use and those I choose to give it to. That way I know what I have in mine..

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

see, this is where your wrong again. It is in fact the very Act that is for Dog and Cat food ;)

Totally and VERY are two different things. Your intent may have been to say very, and that you prefer to grow your won. Unfortunatly, that's not what you said when it comes down to it.

Show me a bottle of coke that lists the amount of each ingredient it it :D You ask for water content? That's a part of the Act. It's called moisture content ;)

That being said, there is some regulation, but not enough IMO. I agree with you this industry needs more.