Time to Vote! 2010 3reef DIY Video Contest

Discussion in '2010 3reef DIY Video Contest' started by Matt Rogers, May 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Please vote for your favorite video below

Poll closed Jun 1, 2010.
  1. jake24's how to make a HGB

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. mcallahan's How to turn your tank maintenance into a workout

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. aerialedge's DIY 20 Watt Lighting Fixture

14 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Bzar's HowTo Make A Glass Aquarium

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. CoralQueen's Video Contest Entry

28 vote(s)
    19.7%
  6. blackraven1425's How to build a 2-part doser

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Kraylen's Lab - Ultimate DIY Welded Frag Rack

6 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. sollie7's My video entry DIY live rock

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. Dingo's 2010 DIY video entry

32 vote(s)
    22.5%
  10. UnderTheSea's Video Contest Entry

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  11. hardyreef's contest video

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. ontop27's aquascaping tips

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  13. fish-aholic 94's saltwater pico

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

ROFL....that's the song that was playing when I choose this nick. Ya I just lost some "cool points" .... whateva, that song is one of my "guity pleasures." Thanks for posting it....makes me happy in a strange (not erotic) way :D

Thanks for the explaination...was starting to freak out make all sorts of conspiracy theories.

Listened to that song three times now :D A day off + OMC playing....life is great 2day!

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm glad you appreciated it. My sense of humor is not always appreciated. ;D

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This kind of banter will not be tolerated. If the contest name is misleading, the first post makes the contest clear. This is a fun contest and your posts and others here that I have removed have been extremely negative.

FOR ALL -
    I pulled a lot of strings to make this contest possible, lets not destroy these opportunities with petty posts. If you don't want to participate in the contest I can remove you. If your friend isn't winning and you are upset that you can't vote - don't take shots on others here please.

matt

5. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

Aye the "post" does make it clear....I would have entered this video even if the title was more conducive with the contest guidelines. I would have posted it regardless of the contest also to help the hobby move forward. This hobby is amazing but for the average income it's really hard to attain with ease. That's why I made the movie…. I wanted to know how to make a glass aquarium cause it's cheap, and I'm cheap/broke, there wasn't any video's I could find. So figured how to do it from text/people and video recorded it.

Heck I personally already feel like a winner from all the support and thankful messages from "visitors and members of 3reef.com" that aren't allowed to vote. Pretty awesome. The physical token is nice, but that appreciation is great. Ty all.

Back to listening to OMC and building my DIY Frag Room :O

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

+1 on the pettiness, seems you can't do anything nice anymore without someone complaining about it, nothing new unfortunately.

IMO contests like this should be reserved for members with a certain amount of posts that have established themselves on the board.

Good luck to all

7. aerialedge

aerialedge Plankton

Have confidence in your videos guys and accept how it all turns out during voting. After all, Matt gave us plenty of time to perfect our videos; he even extended the deadline so that those who weren't satisfied with their video had the chance to remake it. The top prize is worth a lot (around $500-900 depending on size) and it will be up to 3reefers to decide who's video is worthy of these prizes. With that said good luck everyone.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

There's a fine line between someone’s opinion and a complaint. If you silence an opinion then you stomp someone’s right to think, and then people won’t post. It's not easy being a mod on a board; I'd imagine especially in a hobby that can get very emotional, and full of so many that think they know what's “right.”

I'd have to disagree with this statement. IMO opening a contest to everyone is good for a site. I was actually reading a magazine someone gave me that had this contest advertized in the back so I figure the admins do also. Promotions like this keep sites alive and helpful. Ever been to a forum that has little to no member activity? They're useless, people won’t go there, and the site will eventually shut down. This contest helps 3reef bring in more members which helps its effectiveness. If you only allow "established" members to enter and vote in the contest people will feel the site is elitist, will get a bad taste for it, and won’t contribute or surf it. Then it’ll die out, or at least be less profitable. I liked 3reef because it felt inclusive to those that don't have massive post counts. Which is why I was a little shocked to see that you had to be a member and have posts to vote…but the rationale behind that is sound or else people would make dummy accounts and vote for themselves I guess.

If only “established members” could enter the contest here there’d only be about 7 movies to choose from.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  10. mcallahan

mcallahan Astrea Snail

Thanks for doing that as I didn't want to put myself wearing spandex on the internet for nothing! :cheesy:

11. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

well looks like I pretty much lost :) oh well

kinda funny though because When I talked about making rocks in a thread everyone was like you should make a tutorial and now I finally did and no one likes it haha

12. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

LIES! I've seen your "other" websites :p