Time to seed dry rock and order a CUC

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by PghSteeler, Mar 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

We have those in stock in our plants and macro section. You can add them I guess, limpets would need consistently low nitrates. Just to be safe I would skip them. Trochus snails are hardier, swap them 1 for 1 with large nerites. They may eat a little more than them, but it is comparable.

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Thanks for all the help, I placed my order today with instructions to ship for ETA either thursday or friday. I added in some Dwarf Planaxis snails and went with the red Gracilaria. Everything I read elsewhere online states that the Gracilaria is very difficult to grow and requires mod-high lighting but your website states it is very easy and good with low lighting. I was wondering if you had a different strand then what is commonly sold.

4. johnmaloney

Not sure, I have never found it that hard to keep. Some people do seem to struggle with it though. I keep it under t12s in a 29 long, lights are about 6 inches above the water with a 8-9x turnover rate or so. I would imagine it can grow in a wider set of conditions though, when you put bright light on the varitation g. tikhavie we have now it turns yellow. Healthy, just yellow.

5. PghSteeler

Good to now. Is g. tikhavie the variation you will be sending? It is going to be kept under a single T8 50/50 bulb which rest on a glass canopy for the time being. Plan on putting one bunch about 4inches below the surface in front of the HOB filter return and the other near a powerhead a bit lower.

6. PghSteeler

Order arrived today everything alive and well. Snails have already started to disperse around the tank.
    One question, on the reg algae there is a stick like creature that has mini claws and long sticklike body and arms. Moves pretty slowly and not sure what it is should I be concerned?

7. PghSteeler

Have identified the creature as a skeleton shrimp amphipod. Cant find to much info on them though have you encountered these before?

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

I agree it is, we have them this time of year each year. No special care requirements, like most pods they end up as fish food usually. You can google search 3reef with the term "caprellid amphipod" and there should be 1 thread about this time of year each of the last 3 years. :) They surprise everyone at least once, cool critters they walk like drunk stick figures, and swim like horses gallop.