Time for new sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by PghSteeler, Dec 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

With my move and new tank I will be completely replacing my old sand except for a cup or two to help populate the new bed.

Seems I should know by now but I am not sure which sand I want to purchase. I used a regualr sand before and was happy with it at first. Then it started to develop nasty cyano on it and I had to siphon out so much and replace with some more. With time it always looked dirty and the largwer particle sizes and many shell and rock pieces make it look terrible. My wife always wanted a uniform sized white sand bed.

What about oolitic sand or sugar grain?? I hear a lot of people say it blows around a lot but others say once it settles it is fine. With a 25inch tall tank I can position my powerheads high enough to hopefully not blow it all around. I plan on only having a 1-2inch sandbed for now.

2. Click Here!

3. YayFishies!!!

YayFishies!!! Plankton

I have a finer grain sand about the size of a pin head in at 29 BioCube. It doesn't blow around and stays pretty clean with a goby and hermits. It did get a cyan in the beginning cycle but once it gets all thick and weird I got a larger hermit and it ate all the cyano or broke it up for the filters to remove. It did cloud a little when the first hermits got in there due to sand and cyano particles. It cleared up overnight. After the first cycle is over the sand has been no problem and looks amazing.

4. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

I like special grade reef floor sand. Nice size for sifters heavy enough to not blow around.