tigger pods everywhere!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Zissou, Feb 16, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

hey folks i recently placed an order for tigger pods which were recommended for my mandarin by the community. the mandarin never stops eating so i am glad i ordered 4 bottles. i want to have my own tigger pod production. has anyone done this who has some tips? i tried putting some into my fuge but the current was too strong and i think they all just got pumped back to my main tank. i am already growing brine shrimp in jars also but am unsure on the necessities for the pods. anybody had luck?
    thanks

2. Click Here!

3. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

do you have any macro algae and LR in your fuge? I think they'd be ok if you do? They will live around the rock and the algae.

Also, I am planning to get one bottle of those tigger pods once my tank finish cycling and my macro algae settled in. Is one bottle enough to kick start the reproduction?

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

There is 500 count female/male pods in that bottle, I think that is more than enough to jump start your population. Also, if you have LR and have no predator for the pods, you already have a colony of them growing in your main tank.

If you intend to seed your tank with macro-algae, you need to dose Iron to sustain it.

5. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

hey GKW i would recommend the tigger pods for their size even though you live rock probably already has smaller pods. it is good to have diversity though so give it a try. oh and has anyone actually tried to raise these? still looking for info. thanks

6. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Rickzter, what is the optimum level of iron in the water with macro algae?

Zissou, in my opinion and what I am going to do when I receive my pods, you just make sure they are alive(and happy) and they will reproduce.

Also, I read somewhere (or was it on this site) about a "pile of rock" or something for pods. Basically, you structure a small area with rocks in the main tank for the pods to live. This area have to be safe from any predators. You will need to use small rock rubble(so fishes can't get in) and put some source of food in them every few days to keep them alive.

Also, sorry about hijacking your thread, I will start a new thread if I have more question about the macro algae.

7. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Pods will grow in your fuge and in your rock they also like cheto

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

0.05–0.1 ppm, like Iodine, it can build to toxic levels. If you read, it has been proven that it betters the algae considerably.

Stacking the rock works, but dont think is gonna make your reef look nice, if you have porous rock with lots of mini caves, you will also provide a safe zone for the pods. You dont have to stack it, just pick good rock to house them.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Pods like cheto? For what?

FWIW, our species of copepods require a brown or diatom phytoplankton to eat. If your not dosing a brand of phytoplankton that contains either of these (hint: only one brand has these in it, and it ain't DT's, or Kent) or have any diatom present in your tank, you'll problably not have great success in breeding them. The nauplii also require a substrate (sand, silt, etc) to live in, I doubt LR will do it on it's own.

11. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

I use the cheto as a current break in my fuge not a food source, sorry I should have clarifyed, it provides a calm place and I do use the foods you speak of. I have never thought that I was breeding pods although I supose that they do reproduce in my tank and fuge

12. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Gresham, my tank has been up for 24 days w/ a cocktail shrimp and 7 lbs of LR. I have the copepods and tiny feather dusters that came with the rocks and I used RO/DI water. I also have 4 "colony polyp" in one of the rock and a snail. Do I need to feed them? If so, what should I feed them with?

Thanks!
    GKW