Throwing all that skimmer waste into the fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by sikpupy, Jul 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

If the water that goes into the skimmer was 100% clean, you wouldn't run it through the skimmer. :confused::confused:

2. Click Here!

3. sikpupy

sikpupy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What I ment was, I belive, the water that goes into the skimmer container, that holds the skimmer, is not clean. The skimmer does not use all that water in the skimer container before some water that has not been skimmed (which is in the skimmer container) flows out of the skimer container to, depending on the setup, the refuge or sump.

I was, for now, only wondering about skimmer poo in the refugium. Was told A) not any chemicals/elements worth saving, and, B) would take a whole lot of space and many a day to revert the poo back into goodness. Basicly not doable and thats really good enough for me. Honestly, i can not say for sure what does exactly what. I am still trying to learn about skimmers, refugiums, all the different lighting systems, building a stand, all of the aquatic life there is to choose from, cycling, type of sand, yada yada yada. Man, there is a lot to learn and only so much time to find it, disect it and put to use.

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

What's your hurry fella? You're gonna run into a lot of problems by rushing into things and not taking solid advice from the experienced members here.
    Slow it down a notch.

5. sikpupy

sikpupy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Rushing? Ha ha ha, just stopped by to post that I just NOW got my 90 up and running and still no "working" fuge yet.

No, I dont rush. ;)

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I have read through bits and peices of this. The only thing that I would like to add is that I do belive that skimmers are found in nature. The also work in the same way we use our skimmers. When tides come in and rush through reefs or onto beaches they suck water down with them and the micro bubbles float up to the surface bringing along waste simuler to our waste. The waste floats to beach and forms scum pads on the beaches. I have seen a few and they did smell nasty. So waste is being removed in a way. The other way is the worlds coral reafs have a much larger sump then we have. I don't know what percent coral reefs make up the ocean but I am thinking it is around 10 to 15 %. That would mean that the rest of the ocean can desolve and process waste. just think if your sump was 85% larger then your DT how much happer everything would be. Anyways that is my 2bits from the peanut gallery.

7. somuchpaint

somuchpaint Plankton

Would skimmer skimmate be useful for growing copepods in an aquarium that is not attached in any way to the display tank? I have read (I am unsure where) of using the water from water changes in such copepod farms. I think the "dirty" water gave nutrients to the phytoplankton that was then eaten by the copepods. Maybe the skimmate would add even more of those nutrients.

Of course, when harvesting the copepods grown in such a system, one would need to pour the copepods through a very fine net to limit introducing the "dirty" water to the display tank during feeding.

I am still in the research-a-lot-but-purchase-nothing stage of the hobby, so I could be totally wrong, but I have done plenty of reading.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Do you have a microscope or access to someone elses? If so, look at skimmate some time. There's all sorts of interesting things there.

Easiest way to catch copepods is with a sponge. ;) Welcome to Essential Live Feeds! Buy Live Copepods Here!

10. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

Don't forget, even in a relatively sparse tank we have a much higher density of animal organisms than in the reef. Without a mechanism to remove organic compounds, they will build up and foul the system. Food in, skimate out, net balance:zero - Paul

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  11. somuchpaint

somuchpaint Plankton

Thanks. That is a great link.

I guess I need to add a microscope to my list of equipment I need to save for. Now I want to find out if the salt water aquarium at my dentist's office has a skimmer so I can get a sample!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

NO, NO, No... very toxic to all living animals in that concentration! Toss it!